Monday, October 29, 2012

Tomorrow is National Candy Corn Day!

Did you know that candy corn has been around for more than 100 years, but, has never changed its look, taste, or design? According to the National Confectioners Association, candy companies will produce nearly 35 million pounds of the corny candy this year. That's about 9 billion individual kernels of corn. 

George Renninger of the Wunderle Candy Company created candy corn in the 1880s. It was made to look like a kernel of corn and became instantly popular because of its unique design. It was one of the first candies to feature three different colors.

Candy corn is considered a mellow cream, a name for a type of candy made from corn syrup and sugar and has a marshmallow-like flavor. Even with it's rich taste, candy corn is actually fat-free.  

While most people are familiar with the traditional candy corn with the yellow, orange, and white, stripes, it also comes in a variety of other colors and flavors depending on the holiday: brown, orange, and white Indian corn for Thanksgiving; green, white and red reindeer corn for Christmas; pink, red and white cupid corn for Valentine's Day, and pastel-colored Bunny corn for Easter.


If the traditional candy corn treat fails to satisfy your sweet tooth, you can always go for the grown-up version, a Candy Corn Cordial. Made with candy corn infused vodka, orange liqueur, lemon juice and an egg white.



All this talk about candy corn has made me want some. How about joining me in a handful or two?





10 comments:

Cynthia said...

I just saw an episode on Good Eats about how to make candy corn! I myself don't eat a lot of this, but the show made it look very yummy.

M.J. Fifield said...

I had no idea there was such a thing as National Candy Corn Day. I think I know just how to celebrate.

Ghadeer said...

I haven't ever tried candy corn! :(

michelle said...

I didn't know that this type of candy existed. Thanks for this "sweet" information!

Joy said...

Mellow-creams used to be my absolute favorites! Especially the brown ones. That cordial looks yummy though. I may have to give that a try!

Johanna Garth said...

Now I know what adult treat I'll be serving on Halloween night. Those Candy Corn Cordials are beautiful.

Lauren said...

Yum! I love candy corn. Didn't know all the facts about it. What a great post for Halloween. :)

Tara Tyler said...

candy corn day!? of course!
and yummy! a candy corn cocktail! must try!

Suzanne Furness said...

Cotton candy cocktails what a mouthful. Bet they taste sweet! New follower here popped over from Kyra's. Good to meet you, Jenn.

Kyra Lennon said...

Hi Jenn! Just to let you know, you are the winner of the Letting Go Bloghop, congratulations! Please email me at kyralennon(at)gmail(dot)com when you get a chance! :D

Share this: