Monday, October 22, 2012


Today talented blogger and author, Kyra Lennon, is celebrating the release of her new novellaIf I Let You Go with a Letting Go Bloghop. Participants are sharing (in 500 words or less) an experience about letting go. Kyra, and her Mum, will be hopping around the blogshpere reading the entires and the winner gets an Amazon gift card. Which they can use to buy Kyra's new book If I Let You Go and her first book Game On.

How I Let Go...
When I was ten years old I got my very first dog. Our family had dogs before, but this one was mine. A beautiful German Shepherd puppy that I picked from the litter of a family friend. I don't know why I named her Coffee; a possible premonition of my future love of coffee, or maybe my current coffee passion is  symbolic of my love of her.

Growing up I lived in a very rural area with few neighbors. But finding playmates ceased to be an issue after I got my Coffee. She truly was a girl's best friend. Each morning, Coffee and I would take long summer walks through the fields; play fetch, (which she trained me at better than I trained her), and end our evenings curled up in front of the TV.

One morning, my older brother got up before me and let Coffee out for her morning business. What we did not realize was that my little puppy was in heat. Sadly, she wandered off our un-fenced property in an attempt to satisfy her hormones. When I realized what had happened, I was devastated.  Our family looked and looked for my precious Coffee, but we could not find her.

Almost a year later, while taking a different route home, I noticed a full grown German Shepard fenced in a yard several blocks away. With just one look, I knew it was my Coffee. I told my  big brother and we went back and talked to the family. They denied everything; but, I knew it was my dog.

A few hours later a small V.W., with a huge German Shepherd in the back, pulled into our driveway. The family told us that they had found the dog and locked her up. This dog, just as I suspected, was my Coffee.

I was so happy to have found her, but that happiness was short lived. My mom explained that Coffee had been gone so long, she didn't know me anymore, she was their dog now.

Right there in the driveway, squished in the back of a tiny V.W, was my Coffee, My best friend, and I couldn't have her. Getting her back would have been wonderful for me; but confusing for her. She didn't know me, anymore. To take her would mean tearing her away from the family she had come to know and love. I wanted my dog back so bad, I had to let her go. With tears in my eyes, I agreed with my mom and let Coffee go.

A replica of my Coffee
I was grateful for the family for telling the truth and letting me know what happened to my dog, but I was deeply hurt that she was forever lost to me. I never got another dog of my own after that. There was no replacing my Coffee.

24 comments:

Jackie said...

Aww. What a beautiful and moving story, Jenn. Such a difficult, but unselfish choice you made, especially at a young age.

Kyra Lennon said...

Aww, Jenn! That makes me so sad - but I agree with Jackie, you made an incredible choice, even though it meant you had to let Coffee go. :(

Thank you so much for being part of the bloghop!

Trisha said...

This is such a sad story! :( But you totally did the right thing. At least you know that Coffee ended up in a good family, at least that's how it seemed. And what a cute puppy picture!

Sally said...

What a beautiful tribute to your lovely Coffee who obviously meant a lot to you at that time.

Nicki Elson said...

Oh Jenn this is making me tear up! You loved her enough to let her stay where you knew she was happy. It's amazing that you recognized her.

jaybird said...

That picture of the German Shepard pup just about did me in! You poor kid. I don't think I would ever get over that either.

L.G. Keltner said...

You made the right choice, terrible though it must have been to do at such a young age. I had a dog who was my best friend as a kid, so I know how attached we can get to our pets. It's a difficult loss to deal with.

Ghadeer said...

So poignant :(
That must have been a turning point of realization in your life.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Jackie, it was tough, but I loved her so much, so I let go.

@ Kyra,thank you.

@ Trisha, I can only hope she had a good life. I didn't go back by that house again.

@ Sally, thanks, yes she did.

@ Nicki, I did love her. I don't know how I knew it was her, I just knew. I guess we were kindred spirits.

@ Jaybird, they say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I hope that is true.

@ Thank you L.G., as the saying goes: you have to love enough to let go.

@ Ghadeer, thanks, I think it was a turning point. Realizing that we can hold onto the love forever; but sometimes the object of that love must be let go.

Kelley Lynn said...

I have a dog. i can't imagine the heartache you went through. That must have been such a tough decision.

Christine Rains said...

What a lovely and sad story. When I lost my first pet, I was devastated. They're as much a part of our hearts as family.

T.J. said...

Oh dear *sniffles* Letting go of those fur babies is tough, even if for the right reasons!

M Pax said...

Aww, a wonderful, bittersweet story. Hope Coffee had a great life.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

That's so hard, but it sounds like it was for the best. I hope Coffee had a great life.

Cynthia said...

Saying hello from the blog hop. Losing a beloved pet must've hurt. Thank you for sharing.

Michael Pierce said...

That would be such a tough situation. I've had a dog or two in my houses for almost as long as I can remember. Losing one is very much losing a member of the family.

Tammy Theriault said...

blog hopping and new follower! sorry to hear about your dog :( i always grew up with them so they are like family.

Donna Hole said...

Losing a pet can be like losing a family member. Especially to a young child. it took a lot of courage to admit your best friend didn't know you anymore.

.......dhole

michelle said...

What an amazing and selfless act of love... and coming from a "younger Jenn", makes it all the more special!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Medeia Sharif said...

This brought tears to my eyes, but it was the right decision to make.

C.M.Brown said...

What a moving story. I hope the family was nice to Coffee and looked after her well.

Lynn(e) Schmidt said...

Wow. This almost made me cry. I'm a sucker for dog stories. I'm so sorry for your loss, and you're a better person than I am.

My dog, Baxter, I've "had" for six years, since he was a puppy. But four of those years, a majority of his young life, was spent at my aunt's and uncle's. When I thought about taking him back when I graduated college, I weighed in factors, and after Thanksgiving at 3am, Baxter and I snuck into my car, and we drove away, because he was my dog, and I loved him...

And, I'm pretty sure he loved me. (Each time I would leave my aunt's after spring break, he wouldn't leave my room for three days..not eating, going potty...nothing. He would just whine).

What you did was/is incredibly brave. I hope some day you own another dog, because while you can't replace your Coffee, you can share love, and the relationship with a new fellow or girl will be completely new, and different.

Thank you for this story.

Nick Wilford said...

I'm glad you found out Coffee was safe and well, even though you had to let her go. Lovely story!

Catherine Noble said...

Awwww, that's heartbreaking! Poor Coffee, she must have been so hard to let go! You done the right thing, though. Not many people would have chosen the option you did!

Share this: