Monday, October 8, 2012

It's National Fluffernutter Day!

Fluffernutter
Ibán's photostream @ Flickr
Some might call me, a deprived child, but until recently, I'd never heard of Fluffernutter. I only recently learned of its existence while reading my critique partners humorous middle grade book, with its Fluffernutter eating protagonist.

Apparently, I'm in the minority since, not only has Fluffernutter long been a staple of playgrounds, after-school snacks, college dorms and diners, it even has its on National Holiday. 


A Fluffernutter is the ingenious creation of the Durkee-Mower, Inc., who, in an effort to push their Fluff confection, chose to challenge the long standing companion of peanut butter, jelly, by replacing it with Fluff. Hopefully, giving sweet-and-salty sandwich lovers another option. The result? Success!


Since 1961 this sticky combination of, corn syrup, sugar syrup, dried egg whites and vanillin, has been satisfying snack cravings, as well as becoming a formidable competitor to the traditional PB&J.


Fluffernutter
Ibán's photostream @ Flickr
Largely an east coast cuisine, Fluff gained notoriety in 2006 when a Massachusetts senator attempted to ban it as part of the battle of the bulge. Instead, public support for the Fluffernutter rose, eventually resulting in it being named the state sandwich in 2012.

Want to know where you can find Fluffernutter in your home town? Click on the Fluff Finder and find your state. Or, you can order it online here. Still can't get your hands on Fluff fast enough? Make it yourself with this recipe: Homemade Marshmallow Fluff.

If you are feeling adventurous and would like to find out other ways to enjoy the airy goodness of Fluff, check out the online recipe book and whip up your own favorite Fluff concoction. 


Or, you can just sing along to this 1960's jingle celebrating the sticky sweet goodness of Fluffernutter.

22 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

Okay, I used to eat Fluffernutter sandwiches every single day when I was a kid, right up until middle school. Every single day. But I never knew it had its own actual day.

Stephen Tremp said...

My wife and kids love the stuff. Me, not so much. But a jar of this will go pretty fast in this house.

Judy said...

Living out in Washington, we don't see Fluffernutter much, but I learned about it years ago from a co-worker who was from New England. She loved the stuff. Me? I keep lots of Marshalmallow Creme in our house during the fall and winter for hot chocolate!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I'm discovering that Fluffernutter has as loyal followers as PB&J.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

As a west coast gal, we use the Marshmallow creme. But, after hearing all this praise, I've got to try this Fluff stuff.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Marshmallow creme for hot chocolate? I've never tried that but it sounds heavenly!

Tara Tyler said...

ha ha ha =D
sticky, gooey deliciousness!

Cherie Reich said...

I had no clue there was a Fluffernutter day. That's pretty nifty.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I agree Tara. Made the homemade version with my kids today. So yummy :D

Scribbles From Jenn said...

The things we learn from the internet, and critique partners.

Eliza Wynn said...

I already commented, but it vanished shortly after appearing (which keeps happening with the embedded comment form, so you might not see this one either).

I always add a big spoonful of Fluff to hot cocoa. I also like to spread a thin layer on top of mini brownies.

I've also been known to have a spoonful by itself; it helps me drink water.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I'm sorry your comments are disappearing Eliza. I may have to change my formatting. Thank you for your diligence.

This Fluff is so yummy! I know what I'm putting in my coffee tomorrow :p

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I didn't know it was a holiday, but we used to have these all the time when I was a kid.

Morgan said...

I've NEVER even heard of this!!!! Hahaha... too funny. And even COOLER that your protagonist is a fan ;)

Medeia Sharif said...

I've never heard of or tasted this. I used to eat peanut butter every single day. Now I'm curious. I looked at the site and there's no fluff nearby.

Trisha said...

Dude! I am Australian so maybe that's a good excuse for me never having heard of this stuff...ever. ;) I have heard of peanut butter though. I love it, but only the lone unsalted brand we can get here.

Elise Fallson said...

I've never heard of fluffernutter until I read your post! I don't know if we get this stuff over here, but I do like marshmallow so this sounds tempting....how about a fluff and nutella sandwich?

Eliza Wynn said...

Wow! It's so nice of you to change the comment format. I'm not the only person who was having trouble; I did see other people with the same problem on other blogs with embedded comments. Blogger needs to fix this glitch.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@Susan, until recently, I didn't know it was a holiday. Now, I have another reason to indulge my sweet tooth.

@Morgan, funny and sweet!

@Medeia, We didn't have any fluff nearby either, so I made some. It was yummy!

@Trisha, I didn't know they only have unsalted peanut butter in Australia. My daughter and I just started a study unit on Australia, by watching Red Dog. Loved that story ;'}

@Elise, YES! That is a perfect Fluff companion. We tasted Nutella for the first time this week and we are hooked.

@Eliza, you are welcome. I had no idea it was problem. Blogger does need to get on the ball; I still can't get my domain name to hook up with my blog. *grrr*

Lynn Proctor said...

now i feel deprived ;)

Trisha said...

Oh, no, we have lots of salted peanut butter too. But I don't like that stuff ;) We have one single brand (that I've found) that has NO salt, and that's the one I stick to. :D

I still have not seen RED DOG! I'd probably be called "un-Australian" for that. ;)

Deniz Bevan said...

I had no idea! I've been so deprived! Must go out and get some right away.

Share this: