Wednesday, October 3, 2012

It's the first Wednesday of the month, time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Thanks Alex J. Cavanaugh, for providing a place for writers to find support, as we workout our insecurities.

After working for years on my middle grade fiction novel, I've finally polished the draft to the point where it's ready for the final revisions. There's just one problem, I think I'm trapped in some kind of weird temporal loop that keeps me going over the same pages again and again.

It is true with each pass, the pages seem to get better and tighter. But each morning, I wonder, Am I doing the same thing I did yesterday. Are these new changes or the same ones I've made before? Am I really making progress or just think I'm making progress?  

At least in the 1993 movie, Groundhog Day, actor Bill Murray was aware that he was repeating the same day, over and over, and was able to make modifications so he could enjoy his repetition. What if I'm repeating the same day over and over, revising my revisions, but I'm totally unaware of it? Does this mean I'll never get done???

I'm not sure if I'm in a loop or not. I only hope that if I am, I didn't just drag you in here with me. 

Just in case you were stuck in your own evil temporal loop when the movie came out in 1993. Here's a clip for you to check out.

               Groundhog Day

15 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Oh, I hate that feeling! I think over time, I have got better at forcing myself to stop going over the same things, but it's still hard sometimes!

S.P. Bowers said...

First I LOVE that movie.

But I completely understand the manuscript thing. Sometimes I feel I'm changing a word one pass then changing it back on the next pass. Good luck getting out of the loop and putting your manuscript out there!

Tonja said...

That's my favorite movie. I think we're all stuck in the loop of doing the same thing every day and never moving forward unless we notice we're stuck - and try to get unstuck.

You should give your story to someone else to read - maybe someone that's a tough critic. Even if it hurts, you'll get some feedback you need to get you out of the loop.

Great post. I follow.

Sherry Ellis said...

Sometimes I find myself going over the same pages, correcting and tightening. It's definitely not a waste of time!

Lauren said...

I love Groundhog Day. Such a great movie.

Maybe you can do what Bill Murray did and break a pencil in half. Leave it on your desk and if it's whole again in the morning - watch out!

No, but seriously, good luck on your edits! You'll get there. I know you will. :)

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Jenn, I feel for you! How do you know when to stop? I need to know that too!!!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Kyra, I need to learn the same thing; just stop going over it and move on.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Isn't it a great movie!?! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one taking it out and putting it back. They say that's how you know you're done, but it doesn't feel like it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Welcome Tonja! Glad you enjoyed the post and the movie. All these years later and it still makes me laugh.

I'm in a critique group that is great help. I think it may be time to give them the final read.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Sherry. I am hopeful that all this time I'm putting in is worth it. Only time will tell ;p

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Lauren. I can always use more. I forgot about the pencil. I may have to give that a try.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I don't know Dawn, I don't know. I think someone is going to have to yank it out of my tired, cramped hands.

Arlee Bird said...

Groundhog Day is such a great film. I wouldn't mind being stuck in my own Groundhog Day of revision if it meant I was out of the not doing any writing rut.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Suze said...

'There's just one problem, I think I'm trapped in some kind of weird temporal loop that keeps me going over the same pages again and again.'

That's totally normal. ;)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Suze, at least one part of my life is normal :D

Share this: