Wednesday, October 24, 2012

"But real life is only one kind of life — there is also the life of the imagination.” E.B. White


This year marks the 60th year in print for Charlotte's Web, and still, it remains on the best seller list. According to Publishers Weekly, "Charlotte’s Web is the best-selling paperback for children of all time."

In today's fickle market, I'm not sure what makes a book withstand the test of time, because as we know, many books, even some I've loved, don't pass the test. Maybe it has something to do with the above quote; the way E.B. White understood there is life in imagination.

"The greatest gift is a passion for reading"-E. Hardwick

This week I had a chance to visit the Simi Valley Library where the seating, in the children's book area, inspires my imagination.

As an aspiring children's author, and book fanatic, I would love to have a home library filled, floor to ceiling, with books, books and more books.

"A book worth reading is worth buying" - John Ruskin
 A place where I could curl up in front of the giant fireplace, since that is a must for every home library, and read for hours at a time. After I had my fill of reading, I'd sit down at my giant oak desk, whip out my quill pen, this is a fantasy, and write the next Newberry Winner.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough
or a book long enough to suit me.” - C.S. Lewis

Once that was done, I'd pick out another book from the dozens lining my dark mahogany shelves and get lost between the pages. Until my fantasy becomes my reality, I'll take the Dr.'s advice: "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you'll go." - Dr. Seuss, and travel around to public libraries, pull some books from their shelves and get lost between the pages.

"We read to know we are not alone"- C.S. Lewis
I think I'll start by reading Charlotte's Web again, since as Oscar Wilde says: "If you can't enjoy reading a book over and over, there is no use in reading it at all."


19 comments:

Christine Rains said...

What an awesome library! Thanks for sharing.

Rita said...

What a gorgeous library! I love it! I want those for my home!! Must must must find out how . . .

Sherry Ellis said...

Charlotte's Web is an excellent book! Looks like you have a really nice library there!

Cynthia said...

I loved Charlotte's Web. Nice library. It'd be cool to curl up on one of those reading chairs.

Kelley Lynn said...

Ooo, nice library. I've got to get me to one of those soon...

Ghadeer said...

I want those seats in my room now!

Johanna Garth said...

Hi Jenn, thanks for stopping by my blog. I once read that the classics should be reread every ten years because, with each decade, we take away different things. Enjoy your re-reading of Charlotte's Web :)

Lynn Proctor said...

i just love those seats--how great!!

michelle said...

You mentioned two awesome people: Oscar Wilde and Dr.Seuss... I love them both!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love your fantasy. The comfy chair and the roaring fire, perhaps add a pot of tea.
Our little library isn't quite so cool but they have a nice area for the kids and a special teen section.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I love your dream, the pics of that library, and all those awesome quotes - especially the one by Lewis. Happy Writing!

nutschell said...

Love the pictures! what a great library. and how cool is it that Charlotte's Web is 60 years old!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Christine, Glad to be able to share.

@ Rita, Kelly, & Lynn, I want one (or more) too!

@ Sherry, Cynthia & Michelle, double love: the library and the book.

@ Susan, thanks. Tea will work too.

@ Tyrean, thanks. I'm working on my second draft and am in need some Happy Writing. wishes.

@ Nutschell, isn't it great!?! 60, and still going strong :D

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Johanna & Ghadeer, thank you!

Medeia Sharif said...

That furniture is awesome. I remember one library I visited that had enticing seats.

I love Charlotte's Web. I should reread it.

Have a great weekend.

Tonja said...

I have it on my son's bookshelf, passed from one child to the latest. My little guy is just old enough that he's interested in hearing fairy tales - I have volumes of them. :)

Marcia said...

Reading this post, I'm struck by another reason I love print books. E-books just don't inspire the furnishing of a room, the creating of a bookish/reading atmosphere. Love this.

Trisha said...

A home library would be a dream come true for me too, and no doubt many writers out there! :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Medeia, enticing seats make it hard to leave.

@ Tonja, we do quite a bit of book passing in our home too.

@ Marcia, I agree with you 100%. E-books are nice, but I love holding the real thing.

@Trisha, I bet it is a dream for all of us writers. Hopefully a dream to one day come true.

Share this: