Friday, October 5, 2012

Book Trailer Friday

After having so much fun on my Don't Judge A Book By It's Trailer post, I decided to dedicate the first Friday of each month to a book trailer; beginning with The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.

This middle grade book was inspired by a real gorilla named Ivan, who spent almost three decades without seeing another of his own kind. Ms. Applegate does a much better job of sharing the real Ivan's story than I do; so, click here if you want to read more about him or click here to like his Facebook page.

Sadly, the real Ivan is not longer with us. He passed away August of 2012. Ivan will live forever in his paintings and through Ms. Applegate's novel. Even if you aren't into gorilla's The One and Only Ivan is a worth reading. Don't take my word for it, check out these reviews:

 “A beautifully written, intelligent, and brave book. Quite simply, this story is life changing.” Patricia MacLachlan, Newbery Medalist for Sarah, Plain and Tall

"How Ivan confronts his harrowing past yet stays true to his nature exemplifies everything youngsters need to know about courage. … Utterly believable, this bittersweet story, complete with an author's note identifying the real Ivan, will inspire a new generation of advocates."- Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

Summary:  Cover of The One and Only IvanIvan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.
Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he's seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.
Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it's up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.

                  Great trailer. AWESOME book!

10 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

I love the idea of sharing book trailers! I need to learn more about them in case I get to make one someday.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Sara. I am trying to learn as I go in the hopes that I too will one day get to make a trailer for my book.

Julie DeGuia said...

This was a really good trailer. I have read the book and it is also very, very good!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Julie. I enjoyed them both as well. Amazing how she took a real life story and retold it SO well.

Marcia said...

This book is in my TBR pile and I can't wait to get to it. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Old Kitty said...

Awwww poor Ivan! What a life story - full of tragedy and pathos! The song that accompanies the trailer is very sad! Thanks for sharing this and for the info on poor Ivan! Awww I do feel sorry for him!

Take care
x

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I enjoyed your blog Marcia, glad I stopped by! I think you will enjoy Ivan :p

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks for stopping by. It is a sad story, but I'm glad it's getting told.

Elise Fallson said...

This is a beautiful trailer and it almost made me cry. I get too emotional over stories like this, but I'm sure it's a wonderful book. Maybe I'll read it when I'm old enough. (;

Scribbles From Jenn said...

The book is much happier than the actual story. But, I understand about stories that make you cry :'(

Share this: