Wednesday, October 10, 2012

choices,confused,confusion,decision making,decisions,emoticons,emotions,expressions,faces,question marks,questions,smiley,smiley face,smiley faces,smileys,smilie,smilie face,smilie faces,smilies,smily,smily face,smily faces,symbolsAs I've stated before, I find grammar rules very confusing. My poor grammar skills are actually a curse of good writing. How, you ask, is that possible? Well, in High School, when most kids are learning their lifelong grammar skills, I goofed off with my friends instead of paying attention. I mean when would I ever need this stuff anyway? In college, my strong writing skills allowed me to test out of Eng 1A and B, where I would have honed the skills I missed in High School. The result? I am an adult with eighth grade grammar skills.

My High School thoughts about not needing grammar weren't completely wrong, I was able to graduate college and work many years with the skills I had. But, like a bad penny, the need for grammar kept showing up; making me lament my ninth grade escapades. Recently, I discovered quite a few websites that for (not so small) a fee will correct your grammatical errors. I suppose if I had a paying writing job, I'd subscribe to one of those sites. But since the only pay I currently get from my writing is the warm fuzzy feeling of finishing a chapter, those sites are not an option. Enter Paper Rater, a FREE site that does complete proofreading of your text documents.

Did I mention that this is a FREE service where you can submit any text document for proofreading. To start using it all you need to do is, copy and paste the text to the service, give a title, add any reference if necessary, tell Paper Rater about the kind of work you are submitting (i.e if it’s a short story, lab report, an essay, etc.,) and press the “Get Report” button. The result will come up in a few seconds with suggestions and corrections like:
  1. Spell Checks: Highlighted in red
  2. Grammar problems: Highlighted in green
  3. Word Choices: Highlighted in blue
  4. Writing style – Check this from the right sidebar options Style and Vocabulary Words.
  5. Plagiarism Check – This tool also checks the internet for any copies of the document submitted. This is very helpful for teachers as well as content buyers to check if the documents they are getting aren’t plagiarized. This could be found in the right sidebar section named Originality / Plagiarism Detection.
For the grammatically challenged individuals like myself, Paper Rater is an answer to prayer. Now, if they could just come up with a website that revises your first draft....

6 comments:

mooderino said...

Thanks, will give it a go.

mood
Moody Writing

S.P. Bowers said...

I'll keep this in mind. I'm grammatically challenged too. Right now my mother edits my work for grammar (she's awesome!) but she may not always be able to do that.

michelle said...

Sounds like a handy site... thanks for the heads up.

Marcia said...

Wow, interesting site. And plagairism detection is a great bonus!

Old Kitty said...

Thanks for the link!! Sometimes I think I'm ok with the grammar side of things but then I get very complacent and need something like Paper Rater to tell me otherwise! Take care
x

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Mooderino, hope it works for you.

@ S.P., lucky you! I wish I had a personal grammar Mom.

@Michelle, you're welcome.

@Marcia, the plagiarism detector is definitely a plus.

@Old Kitty, sometimes we all need a little help from our friends, or the internet :D

Share this: