Friday, September 28, 2012

Tomorrow is National Coffee Day!

My favorite way to have coffee; on the deck of a cruise ship.
In case I've never mentioned it here, I LOVE coffee. I love the taste, the smell, and how it makes me feel after I drink it.

I have not always been a coffee lover; we didn't even have a coffee pot in the home I grew up in. However, during my college years I worked full-time, while caring 12 units. My boss was a BIG coffee drinker and often invited me to take a coffee break with her in the middle of our typical ten to twelve hour day. We always went to the same old-fashioned coffee shop that served only (surprise) coffee. No blends, lattes, or cappuccinos; just coffee and a few sweets. Over time I grew accustomed to the taste, and slowly learned to love it. Now, I've brought my entire family, husband, mom, siblings, over to the dark side, figuratively speaking, since I never drink my coffee black. 

If you love a enjoying a cup of java, then join me, tomorrow, in celebrating National Coffee Day!  You can pick-up a free cup of caffeinated deliciousness at Krispy Kreme and 7-Eleven in the U.S.A. and Canada. Because the best part of waking up really is Folgers coffee in your cup.

Did you know:
-Coffee was allegedly first discovered by a goat herder in the 9th century who noticed his goats acting strangely after eating the berries off the coffee plant.

-Contrary to popular belief, light roast coffee actually has more caffeine than dark roast.

-More than 500 billion cups of coffee are consumed each year; more than half at breakfast

-It’s the second most traded commodity — behind oil.

  
A few coffee quotes:
“As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be?”
~Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes  
 
"No coffee can be good in the mouth that does not first send a sweet offering of odor to the nostrils." ~Henry Ward Beecher  

"I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee" ~ Flash Rosenberg.  
 "A morning without coffee is like sleep." ~Author Unknown

12 comments:

Tara Tyler said...

thank you thank you thank you!
so happy to celebrate this! woo!

have a caffeinated weekend!

D.G. Hudson said...

I'm a coffee lover as well, although I also drink tea. If I have a choice, it's coffee, and simply with milk-2%. I've been told to lessen the bad effects of coffee, drink the same amount of water. (this was from a fitness speaker)

Interesting post. I don't like decaffinated either.

Mel said...

Great post!! I am going to be celebrating National Coffee Day too. In fact, I think I'll start today ;) Mmmmm

Elise Fallson said...

I do enjoy a good cup of coffee too. But the fact that it's the second most traded commodity just blew me away! Too bad they don't celebrate this over here in France. We love our coffee over here too!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Tara, I will and hope you do the same :D

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks D.G. I better get a gallon of water ready for this weekend.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

"I like the way you think Mel," she says as she heads toward the coffee pot.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Oh man, no free coffee day? I thought it was international :{

Sabrina A. Fish said...

I love coffee. Panera Bread and Starbucks have their Pumpkin Spice Lattes out and I shall not only purchase one tomorrow, but I shall raise it in a silent toast to you, my friend, for pointing out such a fabulous day!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

A Pumpkin Spice Latte sounds delicious! I think I shall join you in that silent toast :D

Haddock said...

Never knew about that light roast coffee and caffeine.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Me either Haddock. I;m learning something new (almost) everyday.

Share this: