Monday, September 10, 2012

Three Days of Writing Bliss, and a lot of Snacks!

Ten Acres of Tranquility
 This past weekend I attended the SCBWI Working Writer's Retreat; held on ten peaceful acres in Encino Calif. Each time I attend this event, I'm not sure if I'm more impressed  by the beauty of the location or the fact that there are ten acres of undeveloped land in the heart of the San Fernando Valley.


The event began on Friday afternoon. After check in we attended our first Q&A session, emceed by the amazing Lee Wind, then the real work began. We broke up into prearranged, by the talented Sarah Laurenson, groups of four, and scurried off to our meetings.
Throughout the weekend we stayed in the same groups of four and repeated this scurrying process five times over the next two days. This is why we needed all the snacks! In addition to providing all our meals, 24 hour coffee and tea, as well as room and board, they provided snacks! Every meeting room had enough snacks to satisfy any sweet or salty craving we had. Of course the snacks were not the highlight of the weekend; getting a chance to present my work to two agents and an editor was. This was a scary proposition, but I did it, and came back wiser as a result.

As I stated in an earlier blog post, this event ran Friday through Sunday, which means there is too much to share in one post. If you get a chance, stop by on Wednesday, where I'll be sharing great tips and tidbits from the agents and editors.

18 comments:

L.G. Keltner said...

This sounds like an amazing event! The 24 hour coffee and tea is definitely a must for something like this!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

It is amazing! I highly recommend it.

Libby said...

Agent and editor, that's great, but you had me at snacks!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha, Libby. I think that was part of their evil plan.

Julie DeGuia said...

How lucky you are to be able to attend this event (year after year) Jenn! I hope you met your goals for the weekend and I will be looking for your post on Wednesday!

Sherry Ellis said...

That sounds like a fabulous time! I would love to go on a writer's retreat!

Cynthia said...

I haven't been to a writer's retreat like this before, so I would like to stop by again later this week to hear more about your experience.

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful.. The peaceful setting would have been enough for me but non-stop coffee AND snacks! Where do I sign up?? I'm so happy for you Jenn. :) I will def. be back for tips. :) And I'm going to look for a retreat in my area. Thanks for these posts.

jnana said...

Writer's retreat- I love the idea of that.

michelle said...

A writer's retreat sounds like a piece of heaven right here on earth... you are SO lucky!!

nutschell said...

I'm still recuperating from the retreat! But man, i had fun!

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Ditto!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. I feel very fortunate. It was an blast!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

It is a great fun to spend the weekend with other writers. Since this craft is very much a solitary one.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

If you get the chance, you should go Sherry. You will love it!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

The comments are up and ready for you Cynthia.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Mimi. I hope the tips help you and that you find a retreat in your area. They are a writer's dream come true.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you! I did meet my goals, but they were only to have fun :D

Share this: