Friday, September 21, 2012

I recently came upon a blog post about de-stressing your life. Of course the number one way to de-stress was to do exactly what we don't do: Unplug. Turn off your phone, computer, TV and unwind. What a perfect way to start the weekend. Why not start here and do nothing for two minutes? It's longer than you think. Don't worry if you fail. It took me several tries before I was finally able to really do nothing. Well, sort of. I actually sat there for two minutes thinking of all the things I needed to be doing *sigh* Hopefully, one day, I will be able to comfortably do nothing for two minutes, while I'm awake. I think the time out will make my next two minutes even more productive.

But first, I need to tighten up those loose plot ends, read the next chapter for my critique partner, revise chapter five (again), review the emotional arc of my protagonist, figure out a better way for the beginning and ending to shake hands. *Double sigh* It's a work in progress.

Hopefully you're better at unplugging than I am. But, in unplugging as in writing, I'll just keep moving forward. 



Writers: Don't forget to take regular breaks from your computer



12 comments:

jnana said...

I enjoyed those empty two minutes, thank you :)

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

Excellent tips and I think I will do just that this weekend. I'll commit to unplugging the t.v., such a time waster.. Thanks Jenn. I feel better all ready! Happy Weekend! You're awesome. :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

You are welcome. Glad I could help.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Happy Weekend to you also MiMi. I am sure you will spend the weekend doing something as magical as you are!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can unplug for a day, but that's about it. I feel I need to be here for my online friends. But I've managed to balance everything, which is why my breaks are so short.

Gina Gao said...

These are really great tips. I, as a teenager, I have trouble unplugging from anything that is electronic.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Ink in the Book said...

I loved the picture! So funny! It kinda resembles me:)

Elise Fallson said...

I unplug every night...when my head hits the pillow. (; Actually I try and do activities like sports outside the home and that helps to evacuate stress.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I need to learn to balance like a Ninja!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha, spoken like a true teen Gina!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, I think the picture looks like many of us :D

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Even in sleep, I fine myself still plugged in. Although I am working on it.

Share this: