Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Don't Judge A Book By Its Trailer

As if writing a book isn't hard enough, authors are now creating trailers to go along with them. I guess it's to be expected with today's techy market. I mean how can you possibly just sell your book on its words alone when everyone is so visual? Although I find the concept of having a commercial for a book a bit puzzling, it is what it is. However, let me encourage you to not judge a book by its trailer.

I recently read The False Prince, by Jennifer A. Nielsen and LOVED it. However, if I had seen the trailer first, I'm not sure I would have read the book. The trailer was well done and peaked my interest, but it did not grab me and pull me in the way the book did. Which is to be expected, after all I am a writer.



On the other hand, the book trailer for the recently released Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne, had me counting the days until the book came out. Of course having friends in the 'biz' allows you to create book trailers that look more like movie trailers, but as Garfield says, "Use your friends wisely."

  
After seeing these book trailers, I thought I'd go back and see if I could find more on books that I enjoyed. Although the trailers were great, and a lot of work went into making them, I'm glad I read the book before I saw the trailer, if I hadn't some of these books may still be sitting on my nightstand.

Matched by Ally Condie. LOVED the book; liked the trailer.

.

Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. LOVED the book, the trailer, and the music Ms. Stiefavater listened to while writing the book. You can check out the tunes here.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. LOVED the book and the trailer, even though they both were a bit peculiar.



I could go listing books and the trailers that go with them, but I know you have other things to do, so I'll end here. If these few only peaked your appetite you can Google your favorites on You Tube or find your them all in one place at Book Trailers for Readers.

15 comments:

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

Great post Jenn. I didn't even know books had trailers and I may have been much like you, seen the trailer and said no to the book. I may be stuck in a time warp but I still enjoy browsing a great book store, holding the book in my hand and reading the jacket.. You are always so informative! :)

Elise Fallson said...

Excellent point Jenn. What's important is in between the pages. (:

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Mimi. I am stuck in the same time warp.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Elise. I enjoyed the trailers, but I still love the words more.

Joshua said...

I have seen some amazing book trailers. Almost too good because then I want to see the film, and then get sad because it's not a film. If that makes any sense.

Thanks for coming by my place this morning.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for stopping back by.

Rose Munevar said...

I loved the Scorpio Races trailer! Who would have thought writing and promoting a book could get so complicated? Almost wish I had another passion besides writing.

Lynn Proctor said...

i was not aware of book trailers---very interesting point :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Glad you enjoyed the Scorpio Races trailer. If you haven't read the book, check it out. It's even better than the trailer.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Glad to be of interest to you Lynn. Just adding more thing to your 'to do' list.

Cherie Reich said...

I think doing a book trailer right can help get a book noticed, but it can be very hard to make one, especially authors on small or no budgets.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

You are so right Cherie. However, I have two author friends who made trailers on very limited budgets. They weren't fancy, but they inspired me to think, that when the time comes, I could do one too.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I haven't tried to make a book trailer. It's on my to do list.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Mine too, right after I finish my book :}

Tara Tyler said...

book trailers can go either way, sometimes it ruins our image to see the authors image, but sometimes it works...either way i love to see them!

Share this: