Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Can I Cut the Mustard?

It's the first Wednesday of the month, which means I'm sharing my writing insecurities, along with Alex J. Cavanaugh, and the other writers, in our Insecure Writer's Support Group. Which is celebrating it's one year anniversary! Congratulations to Alex for helping us acknowledge, and move past, our writing insecurities.

This Friday I'm headed to the SCBWI Working Writer's Retreat where I'll get to spend three days  at the Holy Spirit Retreat Center in the lovely hills of Encino California perfecting my craft. This event provides writers the opportunity to read their first pages to agents, editors and the successful writing team of, Judith Ross-Enderle and Stephanie Jacob-Gordon, the original brains behind this event.  In between reading sessions, you have the freedom to return to your room, also included in the cost of this event, and make chances before you read it in the next session. Needless to say, if you do the work, hence the name working writer, at the end of the weekend you have some pretty tight pages.

This is my fourth time going, so I know exactly what to expect. The location is amazing, very peaceful and relaxing. Food is included, so I don't even have to leave the site. Yet, for some reason this year, I'm stressing out.  I have this overwhelming fear that my work won't cut the mustard. I think my problem lies in the fact that last year, I had such an amazing time, with such positive feedback, that this year, I fear I'll fall flat on my face. Can it be that even though I have worked on my pages, had my critique group work on them, then reworked them again, I am still missing something?

I'm sure my fears are unfounded. I'm sure this event will be as fantastic as always. I'm sure I will come home recharged and ready to write the next Newberry Winner. I'm sure of these things... aren't I?

11 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

*hugs* I am sure this year will be just as fabulous as last year, and you will get even better feedback than ever! :D

L.G. Keltner said...

This sounds like it'll be a great experience for you as it has been in the past. I understand why you're nervous though. After positive feedback, you wonder if you can possibly live up to the expectations you've set for yourself. I think this may be the same kind of anxiety that published novelists go through when they send that second novel into the world. They too wonder if it could possibly live up to the expectations set by the first. This is an anxiety I hope to endure in the future. I'd rather struggle with these insecurities than give up writing.

Good luck and enjoy your writing retreat! It sounds fabulous!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Kyra! I hope you are right :}

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I agree L.G., I don't I want to ever give up writing. I like how you think, this is preparing me for the real writing world.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier today...A new follower here... Have fun at your retreat! You did well last year, and you'd do well again, I bet.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What a great opportunity! If you've been before, you know what to expect, and I'm sure your writing reflects that. No stress!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Welcome Cynthia! I loved stopping by your blog. Thanks for the return visit and the encouraging words. I need them to calm my fears.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Alex, it is a lot of fun as long. I just need to remember, No stress! :D

Elise Fallson said...

You are so luck to be off to a Writer's Retreat. I wish I had those kinds of opportunity over here, but alas.... remember you're there to learn and share and I'm sure you're going to do great! What a wonderful experience. Hope you'll be able to give us updates when you get back. Enjoy it!!

Elise Fallson said...

oops, should have been *lucky*...(:

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Elise. I will work on learning and sharing instead of fretting and worrying. Yes, I'll blog all about it when I return.

Share this: