Monday, September 24, 2012

100 Foods to Eat Before You Die

Have you seen the list of 100 Foods to Eat Before You Die? I'm not sure who created this list as there are a few things on it that I could definitely die happy without eating. While other foods that are rare, and delicious, didn't make the list. Nevertheless, I took a peek to see how many of the 100 I had eaten. 

The initial prediction says that of the 100 foods on this list, most people would have only tried about 20 (or less) of them. Living in the melting pot of Southern California, where I have the opportunity to taste foods from all around the world without ever leaving my county, I more than doubled their initial prediction having tasted 51 out of the list of 100. If I was as adventurous as my daughter, my number would be much higher since I have had the opportunity to taste more, but decided I would probably live longer if I didn't.

The foods I've tasted are in red. Take a look at the list and see where you stand.  I'd love to hear what your score is. If you've tried something I haven't, let me know if it's worth tickling my taste buds.


1. Abalone
2. Absinthe
3. Alligator
4. Baba Ghanoush
5. Bagel & Lox
6. Baklava
7. BBQ Ribs

8. Bellini

9. Birds Nest Soup
10. Biscuits & Gravy (A must for anyone with Southern Roots)
11. Black Pudding
12. Black Truffle
13. Borscht
14. Calamari
15. Carp

16. Caviar
17. Cheese Fondue
18. Chicken & Waffles
19. Chicken Tikka Masala
20. Chile Relleno
21. Chitlins
22. Churros
23. Clam Chowder
24. Cognac

25. Crab Cakes  
26. Crickets (My girl ate these covered in chocolate. I chickened out.)
27. Currywurst

28. Dandelion Wine

29. Dulce De Leche

30. Durian
(Saw it on Chopped, never tried it)
32. Eggs Benedict
33. Fish Tacos
34. Foie Gras

35. Fresh Spring Rolls
36. Fried Catfish
37. Fried Green Tomatoes
38. Fried Plantain

39. Frito Pie

40. Frogs' Legs

41. Fugu

42. Funnel Cake
43. Gazpacho
44. Goat
45. Goat's Milk
46. Goulash
47. Gumbo
(Another Southern must. My mom makes it every Christmas)
48. Haggis

49. Head Cheese

50. Heirloom Tomatoes
51. Honeycomb
52. Hostess Fruit Pie
53. Huevos Rancheros
54. Jerk Chicken

55. Kangaroo
(I’ve never had kangaroo, but I have had buffalo)
56. Key Lime Pie

57. Kobe Beef

58. Lassi

59. Lobster
60. Mimosa

61. Moon Pie

62. Morel Mushrooms

63. Nettle Tea

64. Octopus

65. Oxtail Soup

66. Paella

67. Paneer

68. Pastrami on Rye

69. Pavlova

70. Phaal

71. Philly Cheese Steak

72. Pho

73. Pineapple & Cottage Cheese
74. Pistachio Ice Cream
75. Po' Boy
76. Pocky
77. Polenta

78. Prickly Pear

79. Rabbit Stew

80. Raw Oysters

81. Root Beer Float
82. S'mores
83. Sauerkraut

84. Sea Urchin

85. Shark

86. Snail
(My girl ate these too. She’s a true foodie!)
87. Snake

88. Soft Shell Crab

89. Som Tam

90. Spaetzle

91. Spam

92. Squirrel

93. Steak Tartare

94. Sweet Potato Fries
95. Sweetbreads

96. Tom Yum

97. Umeboshi

98. Venison

99. Wasabi Peas

100. Zucchini Flowers

30 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

What a fun list! I counted and I've tasted 48 on that list. But I agree, there's a lot that could be added. And I don't know why they put Absinthe, I've tasted it, in fact I have some in my cabinet collecting dust... it's not that great, instead they should have put Pastis 51, a much better drink in my opinion. Wasabi peas are awesome if you like spicy and venison and shark are excellent meat dishes if cooked right.
Chocolate covered crickets just taste like chocolate covered rice krispies if you ask me, and snails are also good but it's all about how good the sauce is. I could go on, lol but I'll stop here before I clog up your comment box. (:

jnana said...

Wow, some of the foods on this list are very surprising! I counted and I've only tried 10! But there are around 20 things on there that my religion forbids me to eat.

Stacey said...

Interesting list! I have no idea what a few of the entries are, and there are some that don't sound too appetising, but I think you should put venison and chicken tikka masala on your "to-eat" list. And kangaroo is good - similar to steak :-)

S.P. Bowers said...

Yea, there's a few I wouldn't ever try. I've only eaten 25. But I won't touch eggs, blech, and there's a couple things I think I've tried, or tried variations on but didn't know if I could count them legitimately.

Chicken Tikka Masala is pretty darn good. So is Dulce De Leche.

Lynn Proctor said...

wow-i gotta come back to this--fascinating stuff!!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Clog all you want Elise, your comments are very entertaining! I've never heard of Pastis 51. I think I'll have to try it out; especially since I love anise.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Wow, who knew? I wouldn't want you eating in forbidden foods. I bet there are many great foods, that you've eaten, that aren't even on this list.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks for the suggestions Stacey. I think I will try venison and kangaroo. Chicken tikka masala is a must; even the name even sounds fun!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, S.P., that's two votes for Chicken Tikka Masala. I love tres leches cake, so I'm sure I'll enjoy Dulce De Leche twice as much :D

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Lynn. I'll be here when you come back!

Julie DeGuia said...

Maybe around 26... and a lot of them I have no idea what they are!

I lived in Korea for a year and they eat dog meat there. It is entirely possible I had a taste while eating out on the economy, but not something I dwell on too much. :-)

Elise Fallson said...

Then you'll love Pastis 51. Another brand is Ricard - Pastis de Marseille. Just remember you don't drink it straight from the bottle. You have to add water to it. The dilution should be written on the bottle. But either one has a fabulous anise flavor.

Gina Gao said...

This is such a fun list! I never thought to put food as one of my "to-do" things before I die.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yikes! I wouldn't want to dwell on it either. I've never lived outside the U.S.A, but we have our own weird foods here, like Chitlins and pigs feet. Those are two food items I try not to dwell on.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Me either Gina. Blogging opens me up to a whole new world of things to do!

Livia said...

I've tried a few things on that list. I would like to try pistachio ice cream though. I love pistachios!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

It's yummy! Try it if you get a chance.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm ashamed to say how many I've tried. But haggis is included - Hubby forced me to try it, after years of resisting, he actually held my nose and put it in my mouth. I was right, I didn't like it!!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Ewww! I just goggled haggis; it definitely goes on my *can die happily without it* list.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/haggis

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Elise. These both sound like wonderful holiday drinks.

Sherry Ellis said...

I've eaten 56 of them. But yes, there are a few on the list that I have no burning desire to try!

michelle said...

Oh my word... a cuisine bucket list?
Some of the items just sound unappetizing - like they are NOT meant to be eaten.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I agree Sherry, and I think we will live happier lives without them.

Karen Lange said...

I've not heard of this list. Wow, I don't know if I am that adventurous or not! Thanks for sharing it. Thanks also for stopping by my blog. It's great to meet you!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I'm right there with you Michelle. Foods like Haggis. Ewww!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks for stopping back by. It's nice meeting too. As for adventure, I prefer mine on the big screen; not my dinner plate.

Misha Gericke said...

Great selection! I wonder how many of these I've tasted, but I'm too lazy to count. :-P

E.D. said...

An interesting list but I agree that so many more could be added! I am actually surprised that I have had most items on the list - spaetzle, lassi, currywurst, and chicken tikka masala, as well as foie gras are worth trying, but I will continue to pass on haggis!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha, Misha, I completely understand. I didn't want to count either, but I had to for the post.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Spaetzle is another fun food to say, so must be tried. My foodie girl knew what haggis was because of the movie Brave, but, even she doesn't want to try it.

Share this: