Monday, August 20, 2012

The Mystery of Possibility

File:Mount Everest (topgold).jpg
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

Today marks the 32nd anniversary of mountaineer Reinhold Messner's ascent of Mount Everest. He was the first person to do it alone, without supplemental oxygen. Messner is also recognized for being the first climber to ascend all fourteen "eight-thousanders" (peaks over 8,000 meters (26,000 ft) above sea level, collectively known as the eight-thousanders).

Following Messner's lead, American mountaineer Edmund Viesturs successfully summitted Mount Everest, seven times. Viesturs is the first American, and 12th person overall, to summit all fourteen eight-thousanders. Regarding his victories, Viesturs states: "After Messner, the mystery of possibility was gone; there remained only the mystery of whether you could do it.

Last week a friend, and mother of five, unlocked her possibility by climbing Mount Whitney. She did not do it alone, or climb high enough to need supplemental oxygen, but she did unlock her mystery of whether she could do it.

Her success encouraged me to do the same; to push toward my possibility. I doubt I will ever climb Mount Everest, I may never even make it to Mount Whitney.  However, that does not mean that I should not look for my own possibilities within the success of others. Each victory from a friend, acquaintance, colleague, stranger, opens the door for me to discover whether I can do it.

My path in life  may not be one of a pioneer like Messner, but I can imitate Viesturs and decide to do the thing that calls to me.

Muse For Today: What mystery of possibility calls to you?

7 comments:

jnana said...

Such a beautiful post. Hmm...there is something on my mind now that I've always thought I could never do, but I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and try myself :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks, Jnana. I am thrilled that this post is encouraging you to give yourself the benefit of the doubt. I wish you great success in your new endeavor.

Julie DeGuia said...

I guess I wondered at one point if I could run a marathon... so I did! :-) Well you know, after months and months of training.

Now it is whether I will ever finish this (very short) MS I am cutting my teeth on. With school starting next week, there is hope!

Great post Jenn!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha! Loved the after months and months of training. At this moment, hope is something I need more of. I'm struggling with finishing my own ms, which is beginning to feel like my own Mount Everest.

Kimberlee Turley said...

Stayed in a run down motel that had a beautiful view of Mt. Whitney.

No real interest in hiking, but I'd love to climb Half Dome just to say I did it.

nutschell said...

what an impressive accomplishment! great post!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

alexia said...

Great post! My mom really wants to climb Mt. Kilamanjaro (however you spell that).

Hmmmm... for me I'd love to see if I could move to a foreign country, not knowing anybody, and settle in eventually like a native.

Share this: