Monday, August 27, 2012

It doesn’t matter how many resources you have if you don’t know how to use them, they will never be enough.

Today was the first day of school for my two (not so little) ones. As I watched them joyfully inspect and try out all their new resources. I began to think about the hours I spend gathering resources compared to the minutes I spend learning how to use them. Their actions reminded of the quote above, which is made painfully clear when attached to the image below.

Why do I spend so little time learning how to use my resources? I have the ability to Google it and have the answer in nano-seconds, yet, after two-years, I still don't know how to use all the features of my phone, and have yet to master Scrivener. Why do I move on to the next new thing, before figuring out the answer to the last old thing? I don't have the answer. However, I can say watching them made me realize that making time to learn proper usage of the resource is equally as important as the gathering of resources.

Today, I think I'll schedule some time to figure how all the features of Scrivener work.  The features are why I bought the program in the first place. Right? As for my phone, well, Verizon has a wonderful new every two, plan, so I think I'll wait until I get my new phone next month.

8 comments:

Julie DeGuia said...

Jenn... I know exactly what you mean. I hate manuals, but have to admit they are there for a reason!

I am VERY technology-challenged. It all seems so cool but I barely scratch the surface on what each gadget can actually do!

Good luck tackling Scrivener. I hadn't heard of this, but it looks like an interesting and helpful tool.

S.P. Bowers said...

That's so true. I learn the minimal I need to survive then figure I'll learn the rest sometime but I never make the time.

E.D. said...

I know what you mean! We could save oodles of time and effort by figuring out how to do things the right way but sometimes and somehow we just do not get to it...

Lynn Proctor said...

you are soooo right--it is exhausting to me!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks! Scrivener really is a great program. Even when not used at 100%.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks S.P. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this battle to learn new things.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

What an oxymoron: making time to save time. How can I do that when I don't have time?

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Exhausting is the perfect word. I usually fall asleep while reading the manual.

Share this: