Monday, July 16, 2012

In life, and blogging, it only takes a few miscalculations and you can find yourself way off course. Last week, I had a few miscalculations, which resulted in me missing my Friday post and my (early) Monday post. At the moment, I'm trying to recalculate, and get back on course.

Part of my miscalculating was having my daughter's synchronized swim practices get bumped from three days a week to five. Others were just me trying to enjoy the summer months, like I did as a kid. Sadly, the summer months of an adult look a lot like the other months, just hotter.

I once heard a pilot speak on how the automatic pilot keeps you on course by making slight adjustments.  He commented on how the autopilot didn't wait until the plane was far off course then swing back. It continually makes slight adjustments, along the way, to stay on course. I like the idea of thinking more like an autopilot and less like a GPS. Choosing each day, each moment, to make slight adjustments, instead of difficult recalculations. I need to notice when I something is causing me to veer off course and adjustment, as needed, to stay on course.

Making those slight adjustments would be much easier without turbulence and head winds, but like any good pilot, I'll recalculate my path to accommodate for interference.

Since I missed my Friday Funny, I've added my favorite commercial, from Allstate, hoping that my recalculations come on a more timely basis.


Muse For Today: How do you stay on course? Are you more of a GPS or an autopilot?

WAIT! Don't leave yet! I got another blog award from the lovely L.G. Keltner over at Writing Off the Edge. Thanks L.G.!
  

To accept these awards, I must share 7 things about myself and pass them along to 7 lucky bloggers. The trick is trying to share 7 things I have not shared before, but here goes:

  1. I love being at the ocean, but don't like swimming in it. As a writer, I have too vivid an imagination. Seaweed feels just like giant squid legs.
  2. I have never read any of the Harry Potter books, but I've seen ALL of The Original Twilight Zone episodes: MANY times. 
  3. I prefer Sees Peanut Brittle over their chocolate.
  4. Reptiles are not my pet of choice, yet I once owned two Red-eared Sliders that I loved. 
  5. As a kid my single mother worked nights, so we never went to bed on time. As a result, I often go to bed in the wee hours of the morning and usually need a nap everyday around 4:00 pm.
  6. Whenever I go to someone's house, I wonder when they find time to dust the baseboards since theirs never seem to be as dusty as mine. 
  7. I like getting blog awards, but find coming up with new things about myself is hard, yet reflective. 

...and the awards go to:

  1. MooodyWriting
  2. MyBafflingBrain
  3. SinceYouAsked
  4. ThisGirl'sMessyHead
  5. Ellie'sBlankBook
  6. MargoKelly
  7. MagicalMysticalMimi
As I have said often, I think all bloggers are AWESOME! If you like this award, and think you deserve it, I do too. But since I could only list seven blogs, feel free to grab it, and post it on your blog. It'll help us learn seven more wonderful things about you!

8 comments:

L.G. Keltner said...

The old Twilight Zone episodes are great! Love them! And no matter where I am, my writer brain comes up with all sorts of imagined perils. A hazard of the job, I guess.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

It's good to know I'm not alone in the love of Twilight Zone and the imagined perils.

Joy said...

I really like the idea of slight adjustments. I try to do that when realizing a need to change a habit. Baby steps are much more manageable.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes, baby steps allow us to stop before going off the deep end. It's a good way to change a habit and allow it to stick.

nutschell said...

Easy to miscalculate days, especially when they go by so fast. :)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Southpaw said...

"Sadly, the summer months of an adult look a lot like the other months, just hotter."

SO DARN TRUE!

I've suffered those miscalculation myself quite recently. One little thing and I'm thinking it's a a totally different day.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Glad to see I'm not the only adult who miscalculates and isn't having a childlike summer. (Sigh)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes Nutschell, days DO go by fast. If only I could find a way to slow them down, but still work at my normal pace, so I could get twice as much done.

Share this: