Friday, August 24, 2012

How an Abandoned Wal-Mart Became an Award-Winning Public Library

I recently discovered this story about the transformation of an abandoned Wal-Mart, in McAllen Texas, into a public library as big as two and a half football fields! The library has reading nooks they call "respites", (what a perfect name for a reading nook), a quiet room, several computer labs, a small volunteer-run bookstore, and a café. You can read more about the Texas library here.


Wouldn't it be great if all those abandoned buildings popping up around our country could be turned into libraries? Just think of the bump we would get in our national reading I.Q.

 

walmartlibrary1a
The McAllen Public Library inTexas
Isn't this AWESOME!?! I would love to visit this library.

walmartlibrary2a
The McAllen Public Library inTexas
© Used with permission Lara Swimmer Photography
The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read.  Abraham LincolnI think Mr. Lincoln might be able to find a few books in here he hasn't read.  

walmartlibrary3a
The McAllen Public Library inTexas
© Used with permission Lara Swimmer Photography

...and think of all the money you'll save!

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Best use of a WalMart yet!

L.G. Keltner said...

That's awesome! If I ever find myself in that neighborhood, I'll have to check it out! This is much better than letting abandoned buildings crumble!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Agreed!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I want to go there too. I would love to spend a few hours curled up in a respite nook.

Elise Fallson said...

This is awesome! Finally a good reason to go to Wal Mart. Wish this sort of thing would catch on like a bad cold. I'd love a library like that over here...

S.P. Bowers said...

I heard of this! I think it's amazing. I wish our library was that big or cool.

Lynn Proctor said...

what a wonderful idea---i love libraries!!

J.L. Campbell said...

That facility looks awesome. We sure could use a few more of those where I live.

jnana said...

Amazing, itching to fly to America just to visit this place!

Cherie Reich said...

Wow! That's awesome!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I wish ours was that big too!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I love them too!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

It does look great! I agree, we could use a few more here too.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha! Come on, we have a lot of wonderful libraries!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Agreed!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Me too Elise, me too!

Share this: