Friday, June 15, 2012

My apologies for the lateness of my last two posts. Blogger is not cooperating, and I cannot see any of my scheduled posts. Which means I have to do my posts one day at a time:( Hopefully this problem will be fixed soon (I welcome any advice/suggestions you have.) But until then, it's still Friday, so let's have some fun!

Do you remember the Spirograph? That was the coolest toy. It made me feel like I was a real artist. Recently I discovered WordSmith, an online version of Spirograph, and had some fun playing around with it. If you've hit a wall or just want to have some fun, scroll down to the bottom and make some art. 

Below is information about what a Spirograph is; in case you wanted to know more about how a it works. (Who knew a kids toy had so much math?)

What is a Spirograph?
A Spirograph is a curve formed by rolling a circle inside or outside of another circle. The pen is placed at any point on the rolling circle. If the radius of fixed circle is R, the radius of moving circle is r, and the offset of the pen point in the moving circle is O, then the equations of the resulting curve is defined by:
x = (R+r)*cos(t) - O*cos(((R+r)/r)*t)
y = (R+r)*sin(t) - O*sin(((R+r)/r)*t)
(moving circle outside the fixed circle)
x = (R-r)*cos(t) + O*cos(((R-r)/r)*t)
y = (R-r)*sin(t) - O*sin(((R-r)/r)*t)
(moving circle inside the fixed circle)

How to use it?
Here is how you can use the controls in this Spirograph applet:
  • The first three scroll bars in the control panel let you change R, r and O respectively.
  • You can use the next three scroll bars to change the color of the drawing. These scroll bars change the red, green and blue values of the color (in the range 0-255) respectively.
  • The last scroll bar lets you choose the number of iterations for the Spirograph. Move it to beginning and then slowly increase it to see how many iterations it takes to complete the spirograph.



Thanks to Anu Garg for permission to use this applet

17 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

I loved Spirograph!! Now I know there is an online version, my productivity is going out the window LOL!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha, Kyra! You deserve a break, your book, Game On, is done!

L. G. Keltner said...

Now that I know about the online version, I am sure my productivity will also go down. I had so much fun with Spirograph as a kid. For nostalgia, my husband just bought an old Lite Brite from a consignment store. Ah the memories.

And the geek in me loves the equations you posted!

Cherie Reich said...

Wow! I used to love Spirograph! I wonder if I still have my old one. Hmm....

Eliza Wynn said...

I had a Spirograph. Now I'll have to check out the online version!

Liza said...

Spirograph was my favorite game growing up. I need to check this out!

Heather M. Gardner said...

What an awesome memory you just brought back!
Heather

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahahaha! L.G. glad the geek in you loved the equations. Of course I did not figure them out myself.

I loved Lite-Brite too. I wonder if they have an online version of that?

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Wow Cherie! That would be cool if you still had a real one to play with.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Have fun Eliza! It's a great way to let the child in us play.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I loved it too. Perfect for those long car drives; before portable DVDs, Nintendo, smart phones, etc.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Heather, glad to give you a trip down memory lane :D

Dana said...

Oh, I loved Spirograph! I'll have to check out the online version.

Tara Tyler said...

yay for math! there is beauty in symmetry, curves, and shapes! i teach hs math, love this application & will have to play with it with the kids!

thanks!

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

I DO remember spirograph! Such a fascinating toy!

L. G. Keltner said...

I have some awards for you on my blog. Feel free to stop by to pick them up.

http://lgkeltner.blogspot.com

Tonja said...

My kids have one. They are still very cool.

Share this: