Monday, June 4, 2012

Just Write!



Because I have soooo much time on my hands, I've decided to participate in JuNoWriMo. Actually, it has more to do with my lack of time than so much time. I am a person who respects deadlines, just not my own. If someone else sets a deadline, like Becca and Anna did for JuNoWriMo, something within me urges me to keep going on. I push myself beyond limits to make that deadline. Knowing this about myself, I took the leap and committed myself to write a novel in a month.

My initial response was probably the same as yours, What!?! How can you possibly write a novel in a month? You can't, but you can write the first draft, to a novel in a month.

Looking back over my extensive writing career, (I am including the K-12 years .) I've learned that I always have a story inside me, trying to make it's way free. I've also learned, thanks to Julia Cameron  writer of The Artist's Way, that there is a censor inside me attempting to prevent my story from getting free. He (or she) lives inside my head, peeking over my shoulder criticizing every word I write. Successfully teaching me to judge every line, and second guess every idea. Eventually, creating so much self-doubt and confusion, I find myself doing more rewriting than writing. I have rewritten my first chapter so many times, that it alone has more pages than my entire novel! I  think artist Linda Silvestri at Sketched Out  did a wonderful job of bringing our inner censor to life.


What does this have to do with JuNoWriMo?  In JuNoWriMo, no censors are allowed. You Just Write! No rewriting, no editing, no censor, just words on a page. About 2,000, or so, a day. Words that come from the child in me. The child who has great ideas, but poor grammar. The child who has a lot to say, not always in sequential order. The child who wants to connect with children, through my words on the page. The child who just wants to write!

In order to help keep me moving forward, I use the online version of Dr. Wicked's Write or Die program; it makes sure you keep writing. You can read more about it here. Or click on the Write or Die link, and try it for yourself. 

Wish me luck as I attempt to write a novel in a month. In June, I will Write or Die! 

Muse For Today: How do you make yourself Write or Die? Do you have any tips on how you keep your censor quiet?

12 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Good luck with JuNo! I am doing Camp NaNo this month which is pretty much the same!

I am NOT GOOD at this "just write" thing, but with every day, it gets a little easier!

Julie DeGuia said...

That is a very cute drawing! And what an undertaking... good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Kyra, good luck to you as well with Camp NaNo! You are right, each day it does get a little easier.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Isn't it cute? I love that drawing, it really speaks to the writer in me. Linda is so talented! Thank you for the good luck wishes. I will keep you posted.

sketchedout said...

Awwwwww, Jenn! You are so sweet to show my censor drawing here! I am very excited for you and your JuNo endeavor. Much, much luck to you. I know you can do it, especially since you kicked butt with TAW!

Cheers,
Linda

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahahaha! Thanks Linda, for making me laugh out loud. We all kicked butt during TAW. Thank goodness we didn't have to draw anything, you would have beat the rest of us hands down!

L. G. Keltner said...

I'm writing to let you know that I'm giving you a Booker Award. Come to my blog to pick it up.

lgkeltner.blogspot.com

Diego Green said...

Best of luck!

I have tried Nano for three years now and each time I fail miserably. I really can't shut that stupid censor up and it slows me down terribly.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. I'll hop over there and pick it up!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Diego. I hope my censor behaves and allows me to finish well.

November is still a few months away, hopefully you'll give NaNoWriMo another shot. You know what they say, "The fourth time's the charm."

Tara Tyler said...

lets both be crazy and get it done! but i am waiting til august for camp nano =)

love the robot!!

Phillip Pitts said...

I know you can do this, I will defend the door to your office from distractions. Uh, but that censor is really big, green and a little Scary;o)

Share this: