Monday, June 18, 2012

I love Mondays, except when my musings are so far out there they can't be posted as Monday's Muse. This weekend I kept trying to figure out what I wanted to say, but couldn't pin anything down. Then I began to wonder about the process of blogging. Why do we do it?  Why do we read other blogs? Why do we spend countless hours in front of a screen spilling our thoughts onto the keyboard and reading others spilled thoughts?


My actual diary
When I was a kid, I had a diary that I kept under lock and key. NO ONE was allowed to read it but me. Why do I now feel the freedom to share my thoughts with the entire world? Am I older, wiser, better at editing my thoughts? Yes, yes and yes.  Although blogging, is often referred to as an online diary, for me it's more than that. It's a way to share with peers, instead of noisy siblings, and learn and grow as I gain insight from talented people worldwide.


(a portmanteau of the term web log)
I first heard the word blog at a scrapbook party where a friend of mine was sharing about her blog. It sounded interesting, so I jumped in, and began blogging. Of course I had no idea want I was doing, and like most blind beginnings, I failed miserably. I posted inconsistently, no ever read what I wrote, so I gave up. 


However, the desire to blog never left. This year, I discovered the A to Z Challenge, hosted by the multi-talented Arlee Bird, and friends. I signed up and decided to do what I thought I was doing back in 2007: Just Jump! This time, I had a plan that worked. In only a few months I have regular blogging days, (I'm still working on timely posts), consistent themes, a few followers (almost 100 *squeal*), and I've discovered an online world full of friendly talented bloggers!  

Today, I want to thank you all for blogging with me and providing a place to share, so my thoughts don't have to remain under lock and key. 
Muse For Today: What made you start blogging?

13 comments:

L. G. Keltner said...

I knew I needed to get my writing out there. Wanting more than anything to be a published author, I knew it could be awhile before I managed to get a book published. Blogging gives me a way of putting my work out there while finding a supportive community I can learn from.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Great reasons L.G. Bloggers are so supportive. They help build our confidence before we have to face the 'real' world.

Who knows? A publisher may be reading your blog right now!

KarenG said...

My Coming Down the Mountain blog is my third attempt, and the one that has staying power. Like you, I think it helps to go into it knowing why you're there.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Wow Karen! The third time really was the charm for you. You have over a 1,0000 followers! Thanks for the insight.

Bish Denham said...

I don't know what/why I started blogging, and I had no idea where it would take me. All I can say is that it's been a huge boon.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

With over 300 followers, I agree, it's been a success! Sometimes, starting without knowing the end, is the best journey!

Julie DeGuia said...

Great post Jenn! I have tried blogging before, but this time I am hoping to stick to it. I think now blogging is about what others will get out of my posts (still keeping the content within my interests) and becoming more involved in a like-minded community.

Hop on over to my blog... I have passed the Liebster Blog award onto you!

Laura said...

I think the idea to start a blog just jumped into my head one day, and I thought it would be a great way to get into the writing world. I had no idea how it would go, and I'm so glad I did it! I can't imagine my life without blogging :)

Lauren said...

Partly because I've always liked keeping a journal, and partly because I read that all serious authors should have an online presence. And blogging's been a lot of fun!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Julie for the kind words and blog award.

You are so right, blogging has to interest the community or it won't be read. It also must interest the writer or it won't be written. Finding the perfect balance is the key. Good reminder to write what you love, in an interesting manner.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I'm glad it went on and on too, Laura. I love reading about the things that baffle your brain.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I love your two part harmony. Blogging does meet both needs and it is fun :D

Cherie Reich said...

Aww! I'm glad you didn't give up on blogging completely.

I was never much for keeping a journal/diary, but I heard authors should have an online presence, so I began blogging. First few months posting was sporadic, but I enjoyed reading other people's blogs and slowly found what worked for me. I can't imagine not blogging now.

Share this: