Friday, June 29, 2012

  AND
Nick Wilford @ Scattergun Scribblings, who lives in Scotland, which I'm a tiny bit more familiar with since I just saw Brave.

Congratulations Cherie and Nick! Check your email for your e-gift card. 

THANK YOU to everyone who participated in my first blog contest. It is wonderful to have each of you as part of my blogging world. You are all AWESOME!

On to Friday Fun

In searching around for fun ways to entertain myself on the web, (because it's more enjoyable than doing laundry), I discovered...


You would think that after pushing myself to write 50,000 in less than thirty days I would want to do something that didn't involve words. But this word play made me laugh out loud, and that is always good for the soul.

The Dialectizer is a simple translation page that specilizes in those rare dialects like, Elmer Fudd, Cockney, Hacker, and more. The Dialectizer works like any other translation page; you paste your words into a box and hit Dialectize! Check out Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken before and after it's been Dialectized:

Before:
 Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could

Elmer Fudd:
Two woads divewged in a yewwow wood,
And sowwy I couwd not twavew both
And be one twavewew, wong I stood
And wooked down one as faw as I couwd 

Cockney:
Two frog and toads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel boff
And be one traveler, long I stood
And 'ave a looked dahn one as far as I could 

Hacker:
two orad divergwd in 4 yelow wood,
4|\|D srOry ii coiuld not trsavel booth
and be one tarvelk3r, long is t0od
and l0oked do\/\/n onne as far as i could

You can also Dialectize an entire web page, which is really entertaining.

In retrospect, it could be that The Dialectizer is really fun and entertaining, or that after writing 50,000 words, in less than thirty days, I don't know how to have fun without them.


Muse For Today: How do you have fun with words?

13 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Pahahaha! I love the sound of this! It's the perfect way to unwind after a busy week of writing! :D

Lynn Proctor said...

haha i love it!!

Cherie Reich said...

Yay! Thank you! Congrats to Nick too for winning!

And that Dialectizer sounds awesome!

nutschell said...

woohoo! Congrats to all the winners!

Happy Weekend!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks! It is quite fun.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Lynn, glad you enjoyed it.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

You are welcome! Congratulations again :)

Sherry Ellis said...

Congrats to Cherie and Nick! I'm so happy for them. Your poem thing was funny! I like the hacker one.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Sherry. Glad you enjoyed it.

Lynda R Young said...

The Dialectizer looks like lots of fun.
Congrats to the winners!!

Avantika Chitturi said...

I found out about the challenge only on the 28th of June so I already kind of knew that writing 50,000 words in 3 days wouldn't be possible. I tried anyway and managed to write close to 8000. Since editing what I wrote (and I used Write or Die - a great suggestion I discovered on your blog)it's been cut down to 6450 words. Still happy with what I managed to do in 3 days! I think that whatever happens, it's important to try!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks Lynda. It is good of a laugh, or two, when things get tough on the page.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Wow Avantika! 8,000 words in three days!?! You deserve a badge for that alone! It's good to know that Write or Die played a part in your success. I'm happy I could help.

Share this: