Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Writing Securely In My Insecurity



It's the first Wednesday of the month, so here are my thoughts as part of The Insecure Writer’s Support Group:

I joined the group in March, right before the A to Z Challenge began, and naively thought I'd have time to post on my writing insecurities AND keep up with the challenge. Amazingly I did keep up with the challenge, but I did not keep up with the group. However, persistence prevails and I am here this month blogging on my insecurities as a writer. 

I believe I can say with authority that no one ever began something new without a seed of doubt running rampant through their mind like a raging forest fire. Sometimes those doubting seeds manage to jump out of your head into someone else's who will actually verbalize your own fears; out loud. It is hard your doubts actually being spoken into the atmosphere. When they are, I think of this quote from Benjamin Franklin, "When in doubt, don't." Don't listen to the voice inside your head that says you can't. Listen to the one that says you can.

I wish I could say that the "I can" voice is always there. My own personal cheer leading team, rallying me on daily; however, I can not. Sometimes the voice either has laryngitis or is on a coffee break. Those are the days that I move forward despite my insecurity. 

Finding this group and seeing, (not just believing), that we all fight through our insecurities helps me realize it's just a phase that will pass. My cheering squad will finish their coffee break, get their voice back and I will be able to move on writing securely in my insecurities.

The next time someone speaks your fears, doubts, worries out loud, just smile and move on. Whether you feel insecure or secure at the moment. Choose to take the same path as Benjamin Franklin and Don't Doubt.

Muse For Today: How do you deal with your insecurities?








6 comments:

Tara Tyler said...

its great to have a group! but sometimes i just dont feel like it! most of the time i do, but there are times when my brain is too tired to create =)

taking a break does wonders for inspiration!

M Pax said...

Mine sometimes goes out for a jog without me. I think it's 'normal' for writers and creative people to have doubts.

I tend to shove mine under the carpet and tell them to shutup. I keep a list of accomplishments or good things. And I read them over now and then. It helps.

nutschell said...

It's easy to doubt ourselves--especially since writing takes such a long time to bear fruit. That's why it's great to join writing groups and such--fellow writer friends always keep us going.
Happy weekend!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I can definitely relate to a tired brain. Thanks for sharing.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahahaha! I like that idea. Maybe I need a rug in my writing space :-)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks for the encouragement Nutschell. I look forward to the day my writing bears fruit.

Share this: