Wednesday, May 30, 2012

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” Ernest Hemingway

Several years ago when I first entertained the thought of becoming a children's author, I would have scoffed at this statement. Bleed? Seriously? Well maybe if I wrote with such elegance as Hemingway, I would need to bleed. But I just want to write children's books. Something that provides children an escape from the everyday life of school and homework. Something that makes them laugh out loud.

I was so naive. Those simple pages filled with the seemingly careless adventures of children were created by someone who bleed over them. A diligent writer who pounded the keys night and day bleeding over each paragraph, sentence, word. When we read their finished product, everything is knitted together so well, it appears to have always been that way. However, I now know that is not so. Board book or novel, mystery or romance, someone somewhere, bleed over those pages. 

As I bleed over my own pages, one sentence and word at a time, I remind myself that I am not alone. Writers everywhere are bleeding their heart and soul onto blank pages so children and adults can experience a world, time, place different from the one they live in everyday.

Thank you Mr. Hemingway for reminding us that there are times when blood must be shed in sacrifice of great writing. I only wish I would have read this quote years ago, maybe I would have bleed less or at least bought more bandages.

Muse For Today: Are you a bleeding writer? Or do your words actually flow onto the page with little effort and less blood?

12 comments:

KarenG said...

First drafts I bleed, later it comes easier. I don't like first drafts.

Heather Murphy said...

This is such a great quote! Depending on our audience, I think some take more blood than others.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yuck! First drafts are definitely artery openers.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I think you are right.

Laura said...

Oh dear, it sounds painful! There's a surprise for you on my blog! :)

Lauren said...

Some days it feels like crying and some days it feels like bleeding. Other days it feels natural - like breathing.

I don't which author said it, but he said something like "if a book takes no effort to write, why should I waste the effort to read it?"

That's been one of my motivations while writing. Put some effort into it! Blood, sweat, and tears. :)

Diego Green said...

Blood is necessary. I think it shows if a writer just puts down words without the soul behind them, it really shows.

Painful? Yes. But what is art if not a physical expression of pain?

Cherie Reich said...

That's an awesome quote!

I think the blood might be necessary, although somethings come much more easily. Maybe those gush blood while the others are trying to get a pint from a pricked finger.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

It is as painful as it sounds. Thanks, I picked it up.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I agree, some days it does feel as natural as breathing. Those are wonderful days.

Love your that quote Lauren. I'll let it motivate me too.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

You are so right Diego. We have all read books without soul, and wished we hadn't.

Profound thought: art is a physical expression of pain

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Great visual Cherie! Next time I'm struggling, I will open a vein instead of a finger. Love it!

Share this: