Monday, May 14, 2012

All our dreams can come true, 
if we have the courage to pursue them.
 Walt Disney 
  
The name John Phillip Sousa brings to mind the image of trumpets, trombones, and Marines marching in full-dress uniform. However, had he followed the dreams of a 13 year old boy, his name might stir up the memories of circus themes had his father not intervened when he tried to run away and join the circus. Instead, he was enlisted as an apprentice in the United States Marine Corps Band where he stayed for twelve years as band leader before leaving to form the Sousa Band.

Reading his story of a dream redirected, I wondered how often a dream redirected becomes a dream unfilled? As a thirteen year old boy, I can imagine following in your Father's footsteps seems like cruel and unusual punishment. However, it was that redirected dream that put to use his perfect pitch and gave America its first American-born band director, along with 136 marches, 15 operettas and 11 waltzes, seven books and 132 magazine and newspaper articles.


John Phillip Sousa is best known for Stars and Stripes Forever which was composed after the death of his band manager, and preformed for the first time on, May 14, 1897 at the unveiling of a statue of George Washington in Philadelphia.

I do not have perfect pitch, cannot play any instruments and have never served in the armed services. Nevertheless, I can learn from Mr. Sousa that a dream redirected is just that, and does not have to become a dream unfulfilled.

Muse For Today: How are you making your dreams come true?

6 comments:

Heather Murphy said...

What a great story! I have been playing Sousa music for many years and never knew this. Thanks for the insight

Marian Allen said...

Love this post! This is one of my favorites. :) I was in band in junior high school, and enjoyed pretending I could play the second cornet part. :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

You are welcome Heather. How cool that you play Sousa music!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahahaha! Glad you enjoyed it. I too have done my share of pretend instrument playing.

Crystal Collier said...

Very nice. I don't play and instrument, per say, but I do play my computer and it can play anything. =)

I feel like Sousa, redirected. I'm constantly bouncing between music composition and writing with a dash of teaching. Perhaps one day I'll grow up and figure out what I want to be.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I play on my computer too! Now, I can say I play something. I just won't say what it is ;)

Share this: