Wednesday, May 23, 2012

2nd Annual Flash Fiction Contest


Today is the final day of, Cherie Reich's Flash Fiction Blogfest. Thanks Cheire for hosting this fun event! If you would like to read more about it, hop over to Cherie's blog for all the details. On May 25, she will announce the six finalists and open voting through May 28th.

The Rules:
1. Entries must begin with the two words: Lightning flashed.
2. Entries must be 300 words or less and be in prose.
3. Entries must be posted on your blog between May 21 - 23.
4. You must sign up in the linky to have your entry counted.

 Check out my entry below and, if you feel so inclined, leave a post in the comments.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  The Double Dog Dare

Lightning flashed, revealing Jordan Jacob’s creepy smile. His teeth looked like rotten marshmallows scattered over his gums.
“I double dog dare you.”
“Go on, Danny,” Sarah Bishop urged. “Show him you’re not chicken.”
Rain bit at my face and arms. It would be easy to show Jordan I wasn’t a chicken; except I am.
Lightning flashed again.
Jordan thrust his skinny arm towards me. “Take it.”
Dad’s jaguar key dangled from one end of the wet cotton string, a super-sized Avengers kite pulled at the other.
I grabbed the ball of string, and stared at the snarling jaguar head. Is that what I’ll look like after I’m struck by lightning? My face frozen into a permanent scream? Hopefully they can use Dad’s key to identify me after I’m fried to a crisp.
Thunder rumbled, shaking the ground beneath me.
“Get out there, teacher’s pet. Let’s test your Benjamin Franklin theory.”
 “Good luck,” Sarah said, kissing me on the cheek before running to join the fourth grade boys watching safely from the porch.
Her kiss sent waves of electricity through me. I hope that's what being electrocuted feels like.
I sloshed across the muddy field letting out the kite. This is it.
A gust of wind snatched the kite away seconds before a streak of lightning hit it, snaked down to the key, and disappeared.
I picked up the smoldering kite.
Sarah and the boys ran onto the field.
“He did it!” they yelled.
“I knew you could,” Sarah said, kissing my other cheek.
“Beginner’s luck,” Jordan mumbled.
“It’s not luck, marshmallow teeth,” I said. “It’s science.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 “Good morning Dad. What are you still doing home?” I asked.
“My car wouldn’t start. The mechanic says my key was shorted out.” 
“Really?” I asked. “I wonder how that happened.”

50 comments:

L. G. Keltner said...

I really liked this! It was suspenseful, the interactions of the characters had the cute yet mischievous element of childhood about them, and the ending made me laugh.

Well done!

Heather Murphy said...

This is so cute!...and dangerous :0

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is great! Like the humor at the end. So much for the keys.

Misha Gericke said...

Hahahaha liked this. Especially the end. :-)

Julie DeGuia said...

Yay for middle grade! I like the names you have in here (ie "marshmallow teeth" and "teacher's pet") to give it a realistic mg feel.

My son is in 4th grade and I just asked what he would do if a girl kissed him on the cheek for good luck and he said he would slap her. LOL!

Michael Pierce said...

Very funny ending. That was a fun story. :) Aren't those keys expensive to replace? haha.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you! I love making people laugh.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. Maybe I should have put a don't try this at home disclaimer.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks :D I see new keys in the Dad's future.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. I'm glad it made you laugh.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes! Yay for middle grade! Love the fact that your son would slap the girl. I'd love to hear his thoughts on kissing three years from now (hehehe).

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes, the keys are expensive, which is why Danny played dumb. Glad the ending made you laugh :D

Kyra Lennon said...

Hee hee,great job on this!

Elise Fallson said...

“It’s not luck, marshmallow teeth,” I said. “It’s science.” Hahah, love this. In fact, I enjoyed all of it!

Tara Tyler said...

that is awesome! i wonder how many people have succeeded at that experiment!

farawayeyes said...

Delightful. A very different take on'lighting flashed' than most.

Donna B. McNicol said...

Great story...loved it!!!

Cherie Reich said...

LOL! This was such a fun piece. I kept hoping he wouldn’t get electrocuted, and I loved the end. Great job!

I'll announce the finalists Friday.

Laura said...

Great story! Just what kids would do, too :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks. I had a good time writing it.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Cherie. Can't wait to see who wins. Everyone did such a wonderful job!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I love writing about kids. They are so much fun and a bit dangerous.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Love that you loved it Donna :D

Scribbles From Jenn said...

So happy you enjoyed the different take. It's cool being different.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yay Elise! Delighted I made you laugh.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Tara. I hope they all lived to tell about it.

Diego Green said...

As someone who works with keys everyday, those keys are mighty expensive to replace, haha.

I think my favorite part was: "Her kiss sent waves of electricity through me. I hope that's what being electrocuted feels like."

sjp said...

Love the comeback of "its science"

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I won't even ask how much those keys cost. Glad you enjoyed the story.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Me too :D Thanks for stopping by.

Anna Smith said...

Gratz on being a finalist. Great story :)

Sleep-Deprived said...

Love the ending. Didn't see that coming :)

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

This is a great entry! You have a wonderful voice. Congrats on being a finalist. :)

Andrea Teagan said...

Congrats!

Christine Rains said...

Hehehe! Great piece of flash fiction. I agree that you have a fantastic voice. Congratulations on being one of the finalists.

alex said...

aw this was sweet because it ended well :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. I love a happy ending.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks! Can't believe I made it to the finals. Exciting times!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks! :D

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. I'm pleased my voice came through in on less than 300 words.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Delighted I gave you a surprise ending. You know I love writing with a twist.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. Love your short version of Congratulations.

Medeia Sharif said...

I loved this piece. Congrats on being a finalist.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks! I enjoyed yours as well!

Michael Pierce said...

Congrats on being a finalist! :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Michael.

Heather Murphy said...

Congratulations!!!!!!

Phillip Pitts said...

Congratulations on a great story and Win!!!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you!!!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Heather :D

Share this: