Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Waikki Beach

F.Y.I. I am taking part in the A to Z Challenge.  Stop by tomorrow and check out my post for the letter X.

 

Waikiki
At night when the shadows are falling
I hear your rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Waikiki
My whole life is empty without you
I miss that magic about you
Magic beside the sea
Magic of Waikiki
(From Waikiki by Andy Cummings)
  
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/family-vacations-in-hawaii2.htm
Although we only spent half a day here, we loved Waikiki Beach. The water was perfect, the crowds were minimal, and best of all we were there! We only had a day in Honolulu, (we were on a cruise), which wasn't much. But we enjoyed it never the less. I would recommended staying longer, but I wanted to go on a cruise and the fact that it happened to be going to Hawai'i was an added bonus.

Once the seat of power for O'ahu, Waikiki was home and playground for Hawai'i's ruling chiefs. In the 1800's the beach was used mostly by Hawaiian royalty. The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa sits where the home of Queen Lili‘uokalani once stood. While the Sheraton Princess Ka‘iulani Hotel was built where the hotel's namesake princess once called home.

In 1893 a Greek American opened the first hotel  in Waikiki. Robert Louis Stevenson (who happens to share the same November birthday as me) stayed there and as they say, the rest is history. If you happen to be at Waikiki Beach on a summer weekend, you can experience Sunset on the Beach; free movies shown on a 30 foot screen.

One of the coolest things for our family was the giant Banyan trees that grow near the beach. We had fun standing under them in the daylight, but all agreed we wouldn't want to run into one on a dark night in the forest.

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/oahuphotos/ig/diamond-head-kapiolani-park/


Known for it's famous view of Diamond Head and long boarding,Waikiki Beach is undoubtedly the most famous beach in Hawi'i which means it is a huge tourist attraction. I think it's worth a visit, but it's not the place to go if you want a quiet, relaxing, day soaking up the sun.



Muse For Today: What is your favorite tropical spot?

27 comments:

Ro @ Eat Live Move said...

These pictures are beautiful! So far my favorite spot is the Bahamas. I had a blast there several years ago.


Eat Live Move: Intuitive Eating from A to Z

Jo said...

I does look lovely, but I shy away from tourist areas. I spent some very happy hours on the Greek coast in a yacht. A loooong time ago though.

Tracy said...

Sounds lovely, even though it's a tourist hot spot. :)

You know, I can't think of one tropical place I've been - Siesta Keys in FL, maybe?

Thanks for stopping by my blog during the A-Z. :)

Shannon King said...

It's beautiful...I would love to visit someday! Thanks for sharing sweetie...the pictures are all lovely!

Patricia said...

Great post, love the pictures. Lucky you for getting to experience it first hand. Love you site. Am a new follower!!
Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

SherryE said...

What a beautiful place! I haven't visited there, but I'd like to someday. One of my favorite places is a tropical garden in Belize. It's part of an upscale resort there - like a little piece of heaven!

Gossip_Grl said...

Oh my it looks beautiful there. I loved the pics of the tree's too. They almost remind me of the spooky forest tree's in fairy tales.

Laurie Carlson said...

Hi Jen!
You'll never guess this, but I have a sister-in-law and her hubby, then of course, their 2 young children who LIVE in Oahu! Yes! We have an open invitation to stay at their home anytime, the only thing we would have to come up with is the air fare! Wow, huh! Bummer part is with my neuro disease, I can't fly! UGH! Flying would bring on muscle spasms pretty severe, so . . . BOO-HOO!!!!!
We've seen a TON of photos and more! My father-in-law, before he passed, lived with them during the end-stage of his life. What a way to go, huh! HE even said that! He enjoyed it SO much! I was SO happy when they did that for him!
We have some BEAUTIFUL photos!
I have never seen, nor have they ever spoken about those trees! Wow! I wonder what makes them grow like that? It almost looks like it is the tree's roots, in a way??? VERY interesting!
GREAT article!
Thanks!
Laurie
from: http://www.lauriehere.blogspot.com

Cecilia M. said...

Truly beautiful! Oh the trees look like they have tentacles, I'm not sure I'd get close to them during the night..:D Thanks for hopping by my blog and commenting. It's great to meet you. :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. I've never been to the Bahamas, but I hope to one day say I have.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

A yacht off the Greek coast sounds splendid!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Florida's on my "to do" list too. I hear there are a lot of pretty places there.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Welcome Patricia! I do feel very blessed being able to see it in person.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I have heard great things about Belize, but I've never been there. A tropical garden sounds nice.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

We thought the same thing about the trees. Perfect for a spooky fairy tale.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes, you feel like the roots will reach right out and grab you!
Thanks for stopping by.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

The irony in your not being able to fly is SO sad! We took a cruise, but then you can't stay with your sister :-( Your father-in-law is right. What a way to go!

You can read more about the trees here: Banyan Tree. They are so cool!

DJ said...

Thanks for your posts, they transported me to a magical word!
The photos, the verse and the prose are amazing :)

thesoundofonehandtyping said...

I was working with a client in Honolulu many years ago and stayed in Waikiki. Even if you don't go near the beach (I can't swim and I have to be careful of sunburn, plus I was working during the day) it's quite a beautiful place. The banyan trees are really cool, and the zoo there is a lot of fun.

Pearson Report said...

Hi Jenn - thanks for sharing Waikiki for your "W" post. Sadly, I've never been to Hawaii - but one of these days I will and I will be sure to check out those trees.

Great post!

Jenny @ Pearson Report
Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

Bethie said...

Beautiful scenery. I enjoyed reviewing all your posts. Glad to meet you on A to Z

Pam said...

Jenn, your travels from A to Z are fascinating! I will be back to check out each one now that the challenge is ended.
My husband and I have never been to Waikiki on Oahu. Our favorite place on earth is The Big Island of Hawaii, especially Hapuna Beach. It IS the place to go if you want a quiet, relaxing, day soaking up the sun.
Thanks for an interesting series for the Challenge!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you! (Blushing)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you make it to Waikiki too!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Nice meeting you too! Glad you enjoyed my posts.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you for your kind words Pam. We only spent a few hours on the the Big Island. You are right, it's very relaxing.

Share this: