Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Valley of Fire in Verse

F.Y.I. I am taking part in the A to Z Challenge.  Stop by tomorrow and check out my poetry for the letter W.


Vacation is over time for home
Where can we camp for the night?
Valley of Fire it’s well-known
I think it will be just right

Hoodoos piled ten rocks deep
Sandstone as red as the sun
Ten dollars a night that’s really cheap
Gee this is going to be fun!

We pulled right in, looking for rest
But the summer heat did us in
We wanted to stay, we tried our best
But the sun was too hot on our skin

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/valley-of-fire-state-park/


Valley of Fire, the oldest state park in Nevada, (1935), is located 50 miles northeast of Las Vegas. Valley of Fire is named for the red sandstone formations created from shifting sand dunes during the age of the dinosaur. These structures are the main attraction in the park, as they frequently appear to be on fire when reflecting the sun’s rays.


   It would stand to reason that a park with the name Valley of Fire would be hot. Reason should also play a part in NOT going to a park called, Valley of Fire in July. Reason however did not come into play when we made our decision.
http://theomniscienteye.blogspot.com/2012/01/elephant-rock.htm
   Yes, the park is beautiful, with almost 42,000 acres of sandstone formations; including cool ones like elephant rock.  Yes, early man is represented here through 3,000 year old petroglyphs. Yes, the many trails and rocks beg to be hiked or climbed. Yes, the park has been featured in numerous commercials and movies. It was the Mars outdoor scenes for Total Recall.  Captain Kirk died in the Valley of Fire in Star Trek Generations, and the Transformers Autobots cruised through the Valley of Fire during a sunset scene.

However, hot is hot and even with full hook-ups we could not bear the 110+ degrees. Therefore, we cruised through the park and headed home with hopes to one day see the Valley of Fire on a cool spring day. 

Since we didn't stay long enough to take pictures, you can find more at Planetware.

Muse For Today: How hot does it have to get before you call it quits?

17 comments:

Stacey said...

Great post! To answer your question: I like the heat. I worked on a farm in outback Australia a few years back and the temperature was regularly around 35 degrees Celsius. I loved it.

Tracy said...

Jenn, What beautiful scenery. I have never been in those parts but it always looks so gorgeous! Ummm, good question...I LOVE the heat! so it has to be pretty hot...live in NC and so it gets pretty hot here and well, I love it. I do NOT like the cold....

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hi Stacey! I have worked outside in 95 degree weather, but I did not like it. Maybe I would have felt different if I was in Australia.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hi Tracy, it is very beautiful. Utah Rocks, (Bryce, Cedar Breaks,Zion), are my favorite, but Valley of Fire is a close second. If you love the heat, you will love it here.

nutschell said...

That's a hot place to be--110 degrees hot that is!

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Gossip_Grl said...

Nice posting and from the pics the scenery looks beautiful. To answer the question, I get hot flashes so as long as I can get to some air condition it can get hot outside.

Mel said...

That place looks amazing! As to the question...I prefer cool weather. My theory: you can always put more clothes on, but you can only take so much off ;)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha! I agree with you Mel. I've said that same thing more than once myself.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. Yes, air conditioning is a MUST.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hot, hot, hot! But, I'm learning some like it hot.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi Jenn! Found your post interesting. I don't do very well when it comes to heat. Anything over 80 and I have to have the air conditioner on. I couldn't imagine being out in 110+ heat. I think they'd find me melted into the earth. : )

Thanks for stopping by my blog a couple of days ago.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha! Susanne, that's exactly how I felt. It was worth the extra drive time to NOT have to stay in that heat.

Catherine Stine said...

I do love the Nevada/Utah rock formations! It does make me think of what Mars might be like! How hot does it have to be before calling a trip quits? Well, I'll be headed to Greece and Turkey in late June/July. Call me crazy, because it'll be crazy hot! At least in Greece there is translucent ocean water to swim in!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Wow! That place looks incredible! And incredibly hot! Did you melt?

Scribbles From Jenn said...

If I were going to Greece, I think I could take the heat. I hear it's very pretty there. One day... sigh

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes, and we didn't even get out of the RV!

Amy Brantley said...

Don't blame you. 110+? Yep, I would have left too LOL

Share this: