Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for a Redding Rhyme

F.Y.I. I am taking part in the A to Z Challenge blogging poetry on vacation spots  I've traveled to. 
Stop by tomorrow and check out my Sonnet to the letter S.

Formerly know as Poverty Flats 
Redding California is worth a chat
Far up north away from the coast
Redding still has much to boast
Running along the Sacramento River
Don't jump in you'll shake and shiver
Take time to visit Sundial Bridge
There's much to see along the ridge
Redding my not be full of fame
But it is worth a trip all the same



When you think of California vacation spots, Redding may not top your list of must see locales. Boasting a total of 250 beautiful days a year, Redding, nicknamed the “Second Sunniest City in the U.S.” might be worth a visit. Perched at the upper end of California and surrounded by Mount Shasta, the Cascades, and the Sierra Nevadas; Redding provides a variety of places to stay, eat, and shop.



tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g32952-Redding_California.html
Redding is home to the Sensational Sundial Bridge and pedestrian causeway designed by renowned architect, Santiago Calatrava . If architecture is not your passion, stop in at Turtle Bay Exploration Park, where you can experience a range of activities from animal feeding to vegetable gardening. No matter what your cup of tea, Redding offers visitors a variety of  ways to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city.



Mount Shasta http://www.kenalford.com/sam/sally.htm
 We initially went to Redding to visit friends, but after spending an extended weekend there, we have returned again and again to the warmth and beauty that is found in Redding California. We love the small town feel, the ability to walk to shops and restaurants, the beautiful mountain views and the proximity to Sacramento if we feel the pull of the big city. If you decide to make a trip to Redding, make it a spring one. As Redding summers are very hot and their winters are very cold.

Muse For Today: Do you have a locale that you accidentally fell in love with?

 

12 comments:

Gossip_Grl said...

Have never been there. The pictures that you put are beautiful. I have visited 2 places that I could see myself living there One is Cape Hatteras NC, the other is Bethany Beach, Deleware.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Never been, but that mountain picture is beautiful!

Marquita Hockaday said...

That mountain is gorgeous! And I set a short story in Redding, CA--even though I've never been.

Tia Bach said...

Beautiful. Never heard of Redding before, so I'm glad you brought it to my attention. I fell in love with Colorado when we moved out there years ago (we've since moved to MD, and I miss CO so much!).

Thanks for visiting my blog, Depression Cookies.

Hope you enjoy the rest of A to Z.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you, they are Google images (I guess I should note that). Mine weren't that good. My daughter is jumping up and down at the thought that a beach is named after her. Thanks for sharing.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

It is lovely. I wish I could say I'd taken it.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I love that (Google image) picture too. It gives you a feel for the peacefulness that is Redding.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I'm glad I was able to share Redding with you. Colorado is a place I would love to visit. I've heard so many wonderful things about it.

Angela said...

Sounds beautiful, Jenn. Is that ice-covered mountain also in Redding? I fell in love with Alaska when I visited in 2010.Loved the glaciers and the mountains. Thanks for visiting my blog in the A - Z challenge. All the best to you.
angelasfreelancewriting.com

Scribbles From Jenn said...

It is beautiful, but probably not as pretty as Alaska. I've always wanted to go there. The mountain is Mount Shasta which is about an hour's drive from Redding.

valerieksloan.com said...

Wow that looks beautiful. o.O I've never been there, but wow...I would love to someday. Mount Shasta is absolutely gorgeous.

notes4neta said...

I think I'll have to visit Redding someday.. when I make another holiday/camping trip to Oregon, we'll just have to go a little further!

Share this: