Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for a Grand Canyon Ghazal

F.Y.I. I am taking part in the A to Z Challenge. For the entire month of April I am blogging, in alphabetical order, about a location I’ve visited, that begins with the letter of the day. Stop by tomorrow and check out what I think about the letter H.

Majestic beauty created over millions of years
Picturesque views from her South Rim: Arizona’s Grand Canyon
 
Dangerous depths that snares the foolhardy
That do not fear the sandstone edge: Arizona’s Grand Canyon

 Inversion of clouds fills the massive ravine
A twist of nature; beauty surreal: Arizona’s Grand Canyon
 
Always changing, yet splendor the same
 Plateaus, plains, desserts, forests: Arizona’s Grand Canyon



The Grand Canyon's reputation as one of the great Natural Wonders of the world is well suited. Even after five trips to the majestic South Rim, it still amazes me. Every view picture perfect. Nature in your backyard. The best Eco-friendly in park transportation system on the West Coast.

Although the Grand Canyon, with it's dangerous cliffs and unstable sandstone edges, is known as the least user-friendly park; using common sense will keep you alive and allow you to enjoy the beauty as it's meant to be seen, on the approved trails. I've never hiked into the Grand  Canyon, but her beauty from above is breathtaking. If you're not into hiking, don't worry, you can take a mule ride to the bottom, or ride the bus around the top, visit the beautiful El Tovar Hotel, Hopi House or get a birds eye view of the canyon from the Watchtower. If all that wears you out, you can find a seat along a trail and watch a magnificent sunset.

Muse For Today: Have or would you hike into the Grand Canyon?

8 comments:

Susan Roebuck said...

The Grand Canyon is Nature having a well-deserved boast. It's fantastic - and I saw it on a cloudy day!

Marquita Hockaday said...

The Grand Canyon seems spectacular and a wonderful piece of nature and all, but I would never hike it. I'm not an outdoors girl. AT ALL.

melody-mae said...

Visiting from the challenge. LOVED the poetic descriptions. My favorite line? Dangerous depths that snares the foolhardy...
lovely indeed.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We camped at the Grand Canyon when I was a kid. (Canyon was cool, the camping not so much.) My wife has never seen it so would like to take her there one day.

Elizabeth Twist said...

I would *love* to hike the Grand Canyon (and maybe take a mule back up to the top?).

Haven't been, but it's on my list of someday destinations.

A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I've been several times (I went to college an hour away) but I never joined my friends who would hike all the way down. I hate to say it, but I'm an indoor girl. A little hiking is fine, but down four hours and up six (this is the trip all my friends used to take). No thank you! Too much for me.

It really is incredible, though. I remember standing there in total awe the first time I saw it.

Rhonda Parrish said...

The slideshow of your photos is gorgeous. I'd suggest maybe emphasizing that it's your photos there because I was mousing over links and stuff trying to find pictures you'd taken and I'd nearly given up when I noticed the tiny little text in the bottom corner of the slideshow that said it was your pictures.

Lovely. Truely. I especially love the sunset :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Didn't realize there are organized tours of the Canyon, but I should have known.

Share this: