Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for Four Corners in Free Verse

F.Y.I. I am taking part in the A to Z Challenge. For the entire month of April I am blogging, in alphabetical order, about a location I’ve visited that begins with the letter of the day. Stop by tomorrow and check out what I think about the letter  G.


700 miles Four Corners to see
To our dismay, that was not be

Twelve hours driven all in vain
Closed by powers that rule and reign

Our feet on an X is as close as we get
Four Corners on our list of yet to be met


As I posted here, jumping hurdles is part of the human experience. Finding out a travel destination is closed is definitely one of life's hurdles. Fortunately, Four Corners was a small detour, and not our main objective. However, seeing a CLOSED sign upon arrival is never something one takes joyfully. Although we didn't get a chance to go in, we did take a few pictures on the giant X, which is not the official Four Corners seal, but supposedly is the actual geographical quadripoint where the four states meet. It's unsure if the actual point is outside or inside the park due to the inaccuracy of the survey tools used in 1875. At least we benefited by the confusion. It gave us a place to mark our visit, as planned, with each family member standing in a different state.

Since we couldn't go in, I pulled a few pictures off the park website. You can check them out below, as well as the three photos we took. 

7 comments:

Wanda said...

I had never heard of four corners. Learned something new today. Good luck on the challenge.

Pam said...

Had a similar experience with the Grand Canyon. Drove up while on a trip to Sedons only to be told we had to turn around because it was too foggy to see anything. Disappointing, but now we have a reason to return to Arizona. :)
Pam

Gossip_Grl said...

Have never been there, but enjoyed the pics in your slides.

Misha Gericke said...

Interesting. I never knew they physically marked the four corners like that. :-)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@Wanda, Thanks for stopping by and the good wishes. I'm learning many new things during the challenge too!

@Pam, We look at it the same way. G is for Grand Canyon. I hope you get to check out Saturday's post.

@Gossip_Grl, Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

@Misha, I didn't either, but it's pretty cool!

Paul Hafalla said...

oh lovely F
do check out my F or G at GAC a-z

MOCK! said...

My students get a kick out of this spot when we learn the states....

Share this: