Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for a Carpenteria Cinquain

F.Y.I. I am taking part in the A to Z Challenge. For the entire month of April I am blogging, in alphabetical order, about a location I’ve visited, that begins with the letter of the day. Stop by tomorrow and check out what I think about the letter D.



Carpenteria
Rocky sand
Running, splashing, swimming
Tide pools of life
Seashore


     Having lived in California my entire life, I've been to a variety of beaches. Some I've loved, others I haven't. Capenteria definitely falls under the LOVE column. It's pretty, relatively crowd free, (except for the state run campground it's always booked), and FULL of seashells. I know every beach is supposed to have seashells but most California beaches have seashells about the size of a dime. Not Carpenteria, in addition to the amazing tide pools and seasonal seals and sea lions, you can find a plethora of seashells. I don't know what the rules are about taking them home, so I won't comment on whether we took any. However, if you want to walk along the beach and look at tons of seashells, drop by Carpenteria. Just be sure to wear your shoes, or bring something that removes tar. Because the natural tar the Chumash used to tar their boats still occurs here and will tar your feet.

Muse For Today: What beach beckons your presence?

13 comments:

Gossip_Grl said...

WOW on the beach. Loved the side show pics. When we have had the chance we visit the beaches of Deleware.:) I once visited Cape May, NJ there you can dig for the Cape May diamond which is an old folk tale. I found some very nice rocks that day. They tumbled and shined them for me before I left

Janna said...

At one point in time I lived in the midwest, and it killed me to be so far from the sea. I'm not a lay on the beach person (the red hair and fair skin make it challenging) but I love a rocky beach.

bruce said...

i used to live on the shore of Lake Michigan. It was fun! even in the winter when the lake was frozen.

the shore would look like a glacier had been dropped on the beach. mountains of ice!

but i definitely liked it in early spring and late fall, before the tourist season when we still could bring our dogs out to play...

thanks for stopping by my blog!

bruce and tUcKeR the blogdog blog..

Sylvia Ney said...

You're making me homesick! I'm from Oceanside, California. I live in Texas now and I really miss the beaches there. The ones here are extremely gross, brown, oily - YUCK!

New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Josh Hoyt said...

Great poem and I like the pictures. It would be nice to live closer to the beach.

Jarm Del Boccio said...

I live in the Midwest, and miss the beach...well, I suppose we have one...Lake Michigan. But, that's not the real thing.
It's so hard to choose...Cape Cod and Maine? At the end of the world near Durban, SA where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet? Or down near Tierra del Fuego and the southernmost city of South America..Ushuaia. Hawaii is gorgeous, too. I don't know Jenn...they are all beautiful in their own way. Thanks for the thoughtful post...I love the little crab! Just stopping by from the challenge. Enjoy!

Laura Barnes said...

Any beach. It's snowing outside today and I want a warm Mexico ocean. Daydreaming commencing now...

Margo Berendsen said...

I don't know how close this is to the beach you mentioned, but I remember getting to camp on a beach near the Hearst Castle, it was idyllic and uncrowded!

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I miss beaches! I live in Tucson, in the middle of the desert - no beaches here. Le sigh.

Thanks for sharing!

My C

Jennifer Lane said...

Lanakai, a gorgeous beach on Oahu, beckons my presence. Really, any beach calls to me. I LOVE the beach!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hello Everyone,

@ Gossip_Grl, I’ve never been to beaches on the East Coast. I hear they are much warmer. Hopefully one day.

@Janna, I agree it would be hard to be far from the beach. If only to just hear the waves crashing on the shore.

@Bruce, I’ve always wanted to skate (or fall since I can’t really ice skate) on a frozen lake.

@Sylvia, Welcome! My family lives in the O.C. I love Oceanside. I hope you get to visit soon. Interestingly enough we’ve thought of moving to Texas. Didn’t know they had oily beaches. Food for thought.

@Josh, Glad you enjoyed the poem. I hope beach living is in your future one day.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hello Again,

@Jarm Del Boccio, Hawaii IS gorgeous! Now that’s a beach I could live on. Glad you like the crab :D

@Laura, snowing? Yikes! I won’t tell you what the temperature was here today.

@ Margo, I think you might have been at San Simeon. It’s really close to Hearst Castle, which is about 200 miles north of where I live.

@Jaycee, no beaches, but you do have the Grand Canyon my blog for the letter G.

@Jennifer, I love your name ;p I also love Oahu and Kauai and Maui and…

kilipohi said...

What a Great topic! Good luck! I can't wait to read about all the places you've visited.

Share this: