Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for Bryce in Blank Verse

http://designspiration.net/image/39576/
Did you notice? I am taking part in the A to Z Challenge. Everyday, for the entire month of April, I will post a different letter of the alphabet as part of the challenge. Stop by tomorrow and check out what I think about the letter C.

B is For Bryce National Park 

 Spires called hoodoos formed from ice and rain
Beautifully framed against the clear blue sky
Images of native people in rock
The ancient legend of coyotes curse

A dark sky free from pollution of light
The moonless night an astronomers dream
 7500 stars blanket earth
Ring of Fire for a solar eclipse 

Delicate Arch a familiar sight
2002 Olympic Torch relay
Elevation over 8000 feet
Travel to Bryce Canyon and be amazed

We have been to Bryce Park twice and each time it takes my breath away... literally. It's really hard to breath at an elevation of 8,300 feet. However, I am awestruck by the colorful hoodoos and the legend of their origin.  As I am more of a sightseer than hiker, I've never ventured down to the hoodoos, but I do love stargazing and Bryce is one of the best spots to see more stars than I usually see in Los Angles. Like most National Parks, the Ranger talks are the best way to learn about the park and it gives you some interesting topics to fill in those awkward silences at family gatherings.

Muse For Today: What takes your breath away? Figuratively or literally.

15 comments:

Susan Roebuck said...

I've been to the Grand Canyon and that was awe inspiring - even on a cloudy day. Hoodoos...I like the sound of that. Very much. Well done on the poem. For me, dolphins playing around a ship or the splash of a whale's tail -that takes my breath away.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been to the Grand Canyon. And Hoover Dam. Inspiring sights.

Gossip_Grl said...

I have never been to the Grand Canyon but from the pics it is beautiful. To answer your question it would probably take my breath away- literally- bcuz I am so afraid of heights :)

Laura said...

Love your theme! Can't wait to read more!!

serena page turner said...

hello from a fellow a2z'er, like laura above Im looking forward to reading more of your a2z poetry.

Laura Marcella said...

Hello, Jenn! Your poem is beautiful. Perfect for the A to Z Challenge and for National Poetry Month! Some places that have taken my breath away are the Grand Canyon, Hanauma Bay, and Niagara Falls.

Nice to meet you and happy A to Z!!

Cassam said...

Lovely poem. I'd never heard of Hoodoos. The beauty of sailing in Turkey, the sea sparking in the sun.

Clare said...

As someone who struggles to write pieces of less than 200 words, I really admire how you can convey so much with so little words. I really get a feel for the areas you're describing, and the photos you shared were gorgeous.

Brianna said...

Wow! It's awesome! Thanks for giving me a glimpse of such a beautiful place!

Brianna @
BibleBloggers (#510 on the A-Z list)
and @
1st Writes (My Writer's Group Blog, #517 on the A-Z list)
and finally @
Pocketful of Playdough (My regular Blog, not on the A-Z list)

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Beautiful poem, and that picture is gorgeous!

Happy Monday!
Jaycee's A-Z

Heather Spiva said...

Nice blog! I love the beautiful Oregon coast. Gorgeous! Oh and tho my middle grade book isn't hilarious, you might enjoy a little read. The Puzzle Master on amazon. ;) only .99! Happy A to Z ing.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Susan, saw dolphins last week on a trip with my kids. It was breathtaking.

@ Alex, you are right about the Grand Canyon. Saving that for G.

@ Gossip Girl, I just stay away from the edge.

@ Laura M., Niagara Falls is a place I'd like to see.

@ Laura, Serena, Cassam, Clare, Brianna & Jaycee, so glad you are enjoying the words and pictures.

@ Heather, Oregon coast? I'll have to drive up there one day. Bought your book. Thanks for sharing.

JoyfulJ said...

Watching the fog clear on chimney tops!

Here from A-Z challenge...good luck!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Great post! Sounds like an amazing place to see!

This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

Duncan In Kuantan

bryceviewlodge said...

Thanks for showing those picture animation - now I now where to go next time I spend my vacation.

Places to Stay in Bryce National Park

Share this: