Monday, March 19, 2012

That One Word


It seems like there is always one word in your vocabulary that immediately draws up a single image every time you hear it. For me that word is obtuse. I don't remember the first time I heard it; that image didn't stick. However, I will never forget hearing Andy Dufrense calling Warden Norton obtuse in The Shawshank Redemption. Whenever I hear the word obtuse I remember that movie scene. It doesn't matter if the word is used as a math definition or as a put down, I always think of Andy and the Warden in The Shawshank Redemption. I can't even explain why the scene stuck with me. Possibly because I've had some wardens in my life that I wanted to call obtuse. Yet, I was unwilling to risk time in the hole (or in my case, the unemployment line). Perhaps it is the fact that Andy found a way to deal with the obtuse person in his life. Whatever the reason, each time I hear obtuse, I smile thinking that even if I am dealing with someone too obtuse to take a hint, I don't have to let them get to me, I can find my own resolution to the situation.

Muse For Today: What one word brings a familiar thought/image to your mind?



7 comments:

Jeremy Bates said...

The one word that comes to mind for me is 'acquiesce.'

When I hear it, I immediately recall Geoffrey Rush in 'Pirates of the Carribbean Curse of the Black Pearl', and his line: "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request."

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Nice! I almost missed the disinclined. I think I'll sneak that into a few conversations. Thanks for acquiescing.

jnana said...

I love that movie but for some reason I can't seem to remember that scene. It's funny how any two people watching the same movie can have totally different extractions all depending on their own experiences.

Ann said...

Geranium. The word and the smell always make me think of my Grandma's house in the Bay Area, and how I felt as a child visiting her.

Sarah Allen said...

Acquiesce is a great one! I always her the word 'desensitized' in the voice of Jim Carrey in the Grinch. "Kid's today. So desensitized by movies and television..."

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Phillip Pitts said...

The word for me is "Mmm" Urban Dictionary calls it a word. Quoted by Billy Bob Thorten in Sling Blade as in: "I aim to kill you with it. Mmm."

Gina Gao said...

The word that comes to mind for me is "abyss". I don't know if it's just me or if it is the same for other people, but I feel like my life is sometimes an abyss.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Share this: