Thursday, March 1, 2012

Streching: Good for the Mind, Body and Creative Project

Merriam-Webster defines the word stretch as: extend, reach, pull (as in torture) expand, enlarge. None of which usually come to mind when I stretch my sleepy muscles awake. But, this morning, as I was enjoying my stretch, I wondered if I did the same thing in my writing would it feel as good?  

We have a cat in our home that rarely shifts positions without a good stretch. As I watched her walking and stretching at the same time, I realized the need to do the same in my writing. I understand the need to turn, turn, turn, as well as the need to make it worse for your character at every turn. In addition to turning, I am challenging myself to stretch my writing at every turn. To reach and pull my characters to new levels, extend in length and width, to enlarge them into lifelike beings.

Inspirational Speaker, Michael J. Gelb, states: “... by stretching yourself beyond your perceived level of confidence you accelerate your development of competence.” How do you stretch yourself beyond your perceived confidence level? Is there a particular way you accelerate your development? Do you feel this makes you more creative or is just another form of procrastination?


4 comments:

Ann said...

Beautiful thoughts! We can learn lots from our pets.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you. We can learn a lot from our pets. Like the importance of taking naps.

Jeremy Bates said...

I agree with you jenn! cute little cat stretching!!;)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you for your kind comment Jeremy. On that note,I think I'll go take a stretch.

Share this: