Monday, March 12, 2012

Freedom To Make A Mess


Thankfully, this is NOT a picture of my writing space, but it is a very good likeness of what I think my internal writing process looks like. Some days I feel like everything is so messy, I need the crew from A&E's Hoarders to come and rescue me. It's not that I like being messy, it's just that no matter how many times I clean up the mess, I always manage to make another one. Author John Galsworthy states, "Beginnings are always messy." Looking around me, I am inclined to agree with him. Anyone who has ever witnessed a birth has experienced this truth. In fact birth is so messy, that right after something is born, you can barely tell what it is. It's not until the birthing process is finished and everything's all cleaned up, can you see the new creation. 

Albert Einstein defines insanity as, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, which means my attempts to clean up the mess, before the creative process is finished, could be a form of insanity. I am slowly reconciling myself to the fact that to be creative, I need to make a mess. I need to write what flows from my heart ignoring the prodding from my censor to see if it's grammatically correct. There will be plenty of time for that later. I need to think, dream, play, create, make a mess!

With that said, I am off to make a mess. After which I think I'll chew a little cud as I figure out how to clean it up. Because truth be told, clear out a few books, wedge a desk in the middle of that space and it reminds me a lot of my a friends writing space. 

Muse For Today: Are you a creative mess maker or do you manage to create without making a mess? 

9 comments:

KarenG said...

Hahaha, that cluttered mess looks like my brain some days.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a very organized and clean creator.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Yeah, that looks like my head on most days. Sigh.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Karen and Jaycee, glad to know that I'm not alone in my creative mess.

I'll have to check out more posts from Alex to see how he stays clean and organized.

mooderino said...

Hi Jenn,

I let things get messy and then try to put some order to it. Then let it get messy again, then reign it in again.

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino
The Funnily Enough

Kathy said...

Hi Jenn,
I remember from last year what a challenges it was to visit even a few of the posts.
Thanks for stopping by mine even though the challenge hasn't begun. Hope you can stop by when it does, too.
Don't forget to join my site and sign up to subscribe.
I'm at :
http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.com/

Kathy

Amanda Heitler said...

There are days when my house and my head both look like that. The thing is, I know where everything is. Therefore, it isn't a mess. However it looks to anyone else.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Mooderino, I work the same way. It keeps me from being buried alive.

@ Kathy, I do plan to stop by again since I'll have ALL my posts done ahead of time (wink wink).

@ Amanda, I like the idea of only worrying what it looks like to you and not others. I'm going to give that a try.

Joe said...

Jen,
Blog hopped to say hello. I like your system of "8's". I also love the picture of overflowing books. I find my process is different each time I work on a longer work. At present for the book I'm working on now the process started in order then I opened a door and all the books fell in. Presently I'm wading through knee deep pages. So it goes. Best - Joe

Share this: