Monday, February 20, 2012

Where Do You Find Beauty?

This morning I decided to take a walk earlier than usual and came home to find beauty in my pruned rosebushes. This time of year I normally look at at their stubby appearance with sadness. Today I took a closer look and found beauty in the drops of water on the leaves. 

I am sure I have mentioned this book far more than one should over the course of a few weeks. But, Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way is teaching me to see beauty where it is, not just where it should be. My rosebushes are still beautiful even without colorful blossoms. Their vibrant green and red leaves are a perfect blend of Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day. The tiny beads of water magnify and reflect beauty while providing a cool drink for bees and birds. Beauty is everywhere, if you look for it, even in the pruned stalks of a winter rosebush.

 Have you noticed beauty around you lately? The lyrics of a song long forgotten? The smile of a loved one? The words from a favorite book? As John Kenneth Galbraith writes: "There is certainly no absolute standard of beauty. That precisely is what makes its pursuit so interesting." In your pursuit of beauty, what have found interesting?

5 comments:

Ann said...

It's so important to look for and see beauty in the small, everyday parts of our lives. It's there to find!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you for sharing Ann. That is so true. As Sophocles said: "Look and you will find it -- what is unsought will go undetected."

Ginny Blakeslee Breen said...

Fun to see you and your blog, Jenn!! Love and blessings, Ginny

sketchedout said...

Jenn, I love the way your mind works! My very first experience with your blog and I'm already coming away with a different, more positive perspective than I had a few minutes ago!

Can't wait to dig in to the rest of your musings!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you Ginny! Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the love and blessings. I'll need them for the day of plotting ahead of me.

Hello Sketchedout, I'm happy to hear that my musings are bringing you positive perspectives. Looking forward to sharing more with you. Headed over to your blog to see if the censor in your head looks like the one in mine.

Share this: