Thursday, February 16, 2012

Unplug

Recently I left my curling iron on all day. As soon as I walked into the bathroom, I smelled something burning and realized I'd forgot to unplug it. Nothing was damaged and if not for the smell, I would not have known it was overheating. Which got me to thinking; when was the last time I unplugged? Have I been plugged in so long I'm overheating? Merrian-Webster defines unplugging as a. take a plug out. b. remove an obstruction. c. disconnect. As Artists there are many times when making the Art is more work than play.  In my journey through The Artist's Way I'm learning to make time to unplug, disconnect, remove the obstructions that life continues to put in my way so I don't overheat. If you can, make the time to unplug. The world won't stop, fall apart or cease to exist, but you might find time to see the trees instead of just the forest.

If you can't unplug today, mark your calendar for the National Day of Unplugging and unplug. It is amazing the things you see when you take the time to look for them.

4 comments:

mamajenna said...

Thank you for the thought. It's so hard to unplug sometimes; perhaps maybe the fear of not being able to reconnect.

I found you through the A to Z challenge! I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks for the comment mamajenna. I'm glad you found me through the A to Z challenge. I can relate to those fears. But, sometimes unplugging can make plugging back in all the more enjoyable. I hope this happens for you.

KarenG said...

Writers especially need to unplug. Although the internet is an important part of my career, if I spend too much time online my creativity suffers.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Excellent advice Karen.

Share this: