Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pay It Forward

In 2000 Warner Brothers produced a movie called Pay It Forward based on the book of the same name by: Catherine Ryan Hyde. The movie, starring, Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt and Haley Joel Osment, was about a boy who decides to take his teacher's challenge to make the world a better place by doing good deeds and asking others to do the same, or Pay it Forward. Twelve years later the ripple effect continues as people celebrate Pay It Forward Day on April 26th. Why not get a jump start on Pay It Forward day, and Pay It Forward today?

As a mother I want the world to be a better place for my children and grandchildren. Since February is known as  the month of  love, I am challenging myself to Pay It Forward as a lifestyle. Maybe I'll pay for the coffee of the person behind me at a Starbucks drive-thru, bring in my neighbors trashcan, leave a cold bottle of water out for the mailman on a hot day, something that let others know they have value. In the loosely paraphrased words of John F. Kennedy, "My fellow Americans, ask not what someone can do for you, ask what you can do for someone." Make time today to Pay It Forward. A world filled with people Paying It Forward, on a regular basis, is much better than a world filled with people waiting around to be paid. I believe that as you give, it will be given back to you. My grandmother often said, "It's easier to get something in an open hand than a closed one." Today, let's open our hands and Pay It Forward.


No comments:

Share this: