Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Brotherly Love and Lost

Today, my family and I will lay to rest my big brother, Lamarr O'Neal. As the eldest child of a single mom, Lamarr had to assume the responsibilities of big brother and man of the house at a young age. The duty to care for his three younger siblings fell to him as mom worked full-time to support our home. As an adult I can look back and appreciate the magnitude of what he was asked to do and admire him for doing it. Lamarr made life fun with his unusual dinners like popcorn and grapes. However, when I shared this information with mom, as I often did, he changed his menu to hamburgers and greens; a wonderful culinary combination. Lamarr created in all three of us a love for reading. We spent many Saturdays at the Perris Public Library perusing the shelves and killing time. I think it was his great escape from reality into the world of science fiction that he loved.

John 15:13 says, 'Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.' Over the years my relationship with my big brother grew distant, but I will always carry in me the memories of a big brother who loved me enough to lay down his life for me and be the parent I needed when mom could not. We love you Lamarr and we will always cherish the times we spent together on Marie Street.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.
And I'm at a loss of words
except to express sympathy.

topangamaria

Rita said...

Oh, Jennifer. I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

To my dear friend and fellow writer; my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

JS

Sleep-Deprived said...

Jennifer,

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. We just laid my dad to rest in the same place in February. Thank you for your call last week and your expressions of love to me and my family, while unbeknownst to me you were in your own season of loss.

Blessings and peace to you my friend.

Jenn's Scribbles said...

Thank you everyone for your caring thoughts! Your words are a blessing to me and my family. Friends like you make life sweet.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

I had no idea. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

J Dudley

Share this: