Monday, January 7, 2008

One Line Dilemma

What makes a line great? In every great story there is one great line "Call me Ishmael.", "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....","Tomorrow is another day." Those lines are so great, that decades later I can quote them in this blog without even mentioning where they come from. Currently, I am agonizing over one line in my story, not the opening and not the ending, just a line somewhere on page 14. Will it be great, will anyone even remember it? I don't know, but it is really causing me grief. It makes me wonder, how does one know when the line is right? Does it just jump at you and say 'I am great?' or do you just say, 'I am done?' Right now, all I can say is 'I am confused'

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show." David Copperfield

4 comments:

Rita said...

Some days, it is like...well, it's slower than molasses, moving on to make the next line "great" (or great enough not to stay stuck on, anyway). And then there's the next.

Jenn's Scribbles said...

Ahhh! So very true! Thus the life of a writer.

Marisol said...

People should read this.

Jenn's Scribbles said...

Thanks for the encourgament! It's wonderful to know others agree with you :-)

Share this: