Thursday, October 25, 2007

Do Over

Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.

Oscar Wilde


Anyone who has been a writer understands the concept of a 'Do Over' better known as a revision. I am currently in the middle of two do overs, one in life and one in art.


Five years ago we installed our kitchen counters without the benefit of professional installers, thus, the kitchen 'Do Over'. On Tuesday I had my critique group read my (I lost count) draft of my YA novel hence my art 'Do Over'.

Any kid will tell you a 'Do Over' is great! You get to throw out all your mistakes and start again. So while I sit and rewrite my yet to be discovered fabulous YA novel among the dust of broken tile and drywall, I am going to remember that this is my chance for a 'Do Over'. I am going to keep in mind that I should be grateful for both of my 'Do Overs' because one day I will get new kitchen counters and a book contract. One just might take a little longer than the other.



"Writing energy is like anything else: The more you put in, the more you get out." Richard Reeves

2 comments:

Sleep-Deprived said...

You forgot to mention one big do-over...the dusting. You'll have the pleasure of doing that over and over and over ;)

Jenn's Scribbles said...

Oh, how right you are!

Share this: